reese style hitch

The hitch on my gas truck...

IMG_0954.jpg

IMG_0953.jpg

IMG_0952.jpg

IMG_0951.jpg

Yes just the hitch. We didn't have the leaf springs mounted yet in those pic's. We had to move all the oem susp. to the inside of the frame.

10-4. One more question since you mentioned moving the suspension...

NADM rules for rear suspension talk about control arms may be strengthened or replaced "provided original mounting points are maintained." It doesn't however say anything about the spring mounts.

Later on the rules talk about wheelbase rettaining the original track width. If you haven't altered the axle then the track width is retained.

So if I have all that right, you've done a great job of tucking dual wheels in, legally.

Correct?

So that clevis meets the rule about the hitch being horizontal with the way it adjusts?

This is also a point that seems to need clarifying.

I have always thought the main intent was to prevent vertical clevises or pintle rings. So if you look at the back of the truck, the ring should lay horizontal - as in, parallel to the bed floor from left to right.

The other axis....when you look at the side of the truck, this is where the adjustable pintle rings can sometimes be slightly out of level. I have never seen a hitch called out during tech that was slightly angled down (slightly out of horizontal) like the picture shows.

So from my experience, "horizontal" of the first kind mentioned above is the one they care most about.

10-4. So if I have all that right, you've done a great job of tucking dual wheels in, legally.

Always top notch at pt performance. Aka Pump and Trash talk performance. I highly recommend anyone that wants cutting edge call jason or aka (Pump):ford:

The hitch on my gas truck...

IMG_0954.jpg

IMG_0953.jpg

IMG_0952.jpg

IMG_0951.jpg

For reference guys, Logans clevis is illegal, as it is VERTICAL and is NOT rigid.

Lets make 2011 a BIG year for not having rinky dink farmer clevis with the tractor pin, actually owning a hitch yourself..

10-4.
NADM rules for rear suspension talk about control arms may be strengthened or replaced "provided original mounting points are maintained." It doesn't however say anything about the spring mounts.

Later on the rules talk about wheelbase rettaining the original track width. If you haven't altered the axle then the track width is retained.

So if I have all that right, you've done a great job of tucking dual wheels in, legally.

Correct?

First line in the 2.6 rule reads "An OEM style suspension is mandatory."
Does anyone know of an OEM that puts leaf springs inside the frame?:stab:

Pump and Trash talks OEM pulling chassis extrordinair. I was told it will offered by all three major manufacturers in 2012 :rockwoot:

Why wouldn't it?

I guess I was thinking horizontal = parallel but thinking on it more, horizontal doesn't necessarily mean that so I suppose it would fly as it is in a mostly horizontal state.

I'll enjoy my big ol glass of stfu now. LOL

Are you being serious?? I fig. OEM to mean more along the lines of retaining leaf springs to suspend the rear end with, not necessarily their location/orientation/etc. No

See I always thought of it that way, but PT got me to thinking maybe I was looking at it wrong...

For reference guys, Logans clevis is illegal, as it is VERTICAL and is NOT rigid.

Lets make 2011 a BIG year for not having rinky dink farmer clevis with the tractor pin, actually owning a hitch yourself..

Got a picture of what you want exactly...

I would take this as leaf spring or coil spring supported, not directly welded. Probably not even 4 linked?

I had new hitch rules wrote up for COTPC that would eliminate any gray area with hitch requirements but when bob and cotpc got together they decided to keep the old rules and in my opinion the old rules leave the door wide open.

Here are some pic's of the last hitch I set up and it should be legal for 2.6 @ most events.

Jasoneyeballs179.jpg

Jasoneyeballs176.jpg

HPIM3943.jpg

Very nice

10-4. One more question since you mentioned moving the suspension...

Correct?

EXACTLY!!!

The rules say OEM STYLE SUSPENSION MANDATORY and nothing about not putting it on the inside of the frame. All we did was bolt the hangers and brackets to the inside of the frame in the original oem bolt holes.

Wheelbase is fine it is a long wheelbase cab-in-chassis.
As far as the original track width rule goes that is pretty much a joke and doesn't get enforced. :woohoo:

Last edited:
Remember guys, generally speaking, if you see a grey area in the rules, by all means take advantage of it.
However, don't be whining when the Tech sees the grey area the other way.

Yea, the width rule enforcement was a joke, until a guy got caught last year.LOL

While we are talking about OEM style suspensions - What if I want to change the front suspension? For example - what if I take a mid 80s Chevy 2wd truck and install a 4 link front suspension on it with coil springs and shocks? Basically that is an OEM front suspension for a Dodge... Plus there are lots of lift kits that are being run on Fords that convert them to 4 link fronts - would I necessarily have to use OEM mounts at that point in time?

While my question is something I have been wondering (considering there is a 1985 crew cab short box 2wd truck sitting in my driveway) - its really more about - where do you draw the line? I must use the factory spring hangers - but I am allowed to cut and reweld the spring perches on the axle according to the pictures posted in this thread - really what is so bad about being able to fab my own spring hangers at that point? I understand not letting someone setup a rear 4 link - or even a rear radius arm suspension - no factory truck has one (that I am aware of...) and it could pose as a tactical advantage in certain circumstances if set up perfectly.

Remember guys, generally speaking, if you see a grey area in the rules, by all means take advantage of it.
However, don't be whining when the Tech sees the grey area the other way.

Yea, the width rule enforcement was a joke, until a guy got caught last year.LOL

Just curious how do you enforce a width rule when you don't give any measurements on paper to base it off of????Does it depend on what the tech dreams up that day or what?:what:

Jason for that receiver being a super hitch it doesn't look very strong with the actual receiver tube just being welded to the bottom of the cross tube. Wait now I see where those adjustable links connect to!!!

It goes to the actual slid in hitch right or am I not seeing correctly?

Back