Reg.Oil vs Synthetic ???

shauler

New to the site, usually don't join sites just visit and read. Liked this one and it's content, so thought I would give it a try. I own a 02 Dodge 2500 (cummins) with 118,000 ml and a 04 F650 with a vt365 6.0L with 171,000 ml on them thought about switching from Rotella 15wx40w to an Synthetic oil ? Any comments or concerns I should be aware of. Would appr. any input. Thanks Shauler

Nope.......vegetable oil is hateful LOL

Yeah welcome! :welcome:

Last edited:
Well, since you posted in the introduction section......

Welcome to compD!

Any synth is better than Rotella. Valvoline Extreme blue full synthetic works very well in the 6.0's from what I have heard. I like the schaeffer's oil the best but it's pricey.

Thanks alot Sinner, appr. the feedback, figured this would be the place to ask, people who actually own diesels. Trying to get the most out them.

Your gonna get some leaks when you switch! But the syn is way better in my opinion!

Thanks LRIEF for the search pge, New to the site and by no means cmputer friendly, still learning as i go. Gobaltruck, have no leaks now is switching worth it on the next oil change.

No problem! There is a bunch of info here, mostly on the competition level.

I switched my 24v at 118K to syn. My machinest said with the valve train and cam I was running I needed a better lube than rotella 15/40 that I always ran. I switched and it didn't take long for all my seals and gaskets to start leaking. The synthetic takes the deposit that have built up from the conventional oil away from sealing points which inturn causes seppage! I wouldn't change if I were just running an everyday stock truck. And if you change to syn theres no goin back to conventional!

That's poor information. Synthetic is much better in any engine. Bad seals are bad seals no matter the oil used.

That's poor information. Synthetic is much better in any engine. Bad seals are bad seals no matter the oil used.

Thanks for bashing my opinion! That was just my experience so far with the syn and I did say it is better than conventional. Just may not be needed in everyones application!

so maybe leave my cummins alone, basically fixed up (cosmetically) truck to haul the horse now and then, but mostly locally driven, not even a daily driver. But my F650 work truck carries around 2000 gallons (16,000lbs) of liquid on stop and start driving all day, synthetic here to help the 6.0L

I'm not an expert by no means. But I do a ton of reading and plenty of expensive trial and error!LOL! I myself ran Klotz for a bit and have now switched to ROYAL PURPLE. Seems like top notch oil! When I get some more miles on will really tell the story! I would switch!All the new oil leaks kind of killed my first impression for a bit. But now I would run nothing but!

thanks Alot Guys !! really appreciate the Info.. Have a good week and Happy Thanskgiving to all!!!

Back