Reliability of O-rings

styx53

I am about to put a set of twins on my truck which will probably reach 70lbs of boost before they are out of their efficiency range. I am going to buy a set of 625's to install when I do the twins. I am also going to take an 06 head and put it on my 03 at the same time. I am seriously considering o-ringing it, but I am worried about reliability. My truck is a daily driver and almost never makes it to the race track, so I just want to know if it would be more reliable to just go back with an MLS or do o-rings. I have also heard that with o-rings you have to re-torque the head every six months or something like that. Is this true. Thanks for your help guys.

I'd save the money on the 625's and get the head o-ringed instead. O-rings are very reliable and proven. And once they are seated and the gasket is compressed you shouldn't have to retorque them. I'd say about 3-4 retorques at 125ftlbs should be enough to hold.

I've never had an issue with an O-Ring in the last 6 years and say 90K miles, I typically do a re-torque once or twice a year.

Jim

So your gasket has held for the past 6 years? I am just worried about the gasket not sealing up all of the coolant ports good enough and having problems with it down the road. I am definitely going to get 625's and if I can be convinced that I will not have any problems with o-rings, I will spend the money on them...$400 is nothing compared to what I have in this truck. Thanks for the replies.

I had great luck with o -rings on my 24v but not so much on this 12v engine. Im gonna go with fire rings.

O-rings set at .011 and torqued to 125lbs with arps have been holding fine at 70 psi+.

I had 3 years 20+ sled pulls and God only knows how Many 3rd gear launches and burnouts averaging 45-50 psi on a stock Cummins gasket with O rings and stock head bolts with 3 torque's @ 90ft lbs plus 90* turn NO problems in 4 years and from reading above you can see I'm not easy on her.

So your gasket has held for the past 6 years? I am just worried about the gasket not sealing up all of the coolant ports good enough and having problems with it down the road. I am definitely going to get 625's and if I can be convinced that I will not have any problems with o-rings, I will spend the money on them...$400 is nothing compared to what I have in this truck. Thanks for the replies.

If you're worried about sealing all the water ports, you could always use this stuff. Scheid uses it in their builds...

http://www.irontite.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1&zenid=2bd557690294549c6cc0a86cbc248f9a

along with some of this....

http://www.irontite.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=2&zenid=b04ebd7b278bad9e2cd07119b3af47e7

And how many of you are O ring ing a CR motor! Thats what he has and i see alot of feed back from 12v and 24v vp guys. You might want to talk with some more sources that do the machining as well as the install labor. I was in the market as well for rings and had several well respectful builders turn me down on my CR. My two cents from very recent experience

Scheid elected to do fire rings on my CR. I asked about the two and was told the fire rings hold between the cylinders much better. Don't know if it was the difference between using them on a CR or older motor though

Usually firerings require the block to be pulled from the truck. I was informed i could double check my head for straightness, new mls gasket and 625 s. This would hold a good 70 psi boost all day long on a CR. I called Haisley and they were confident in o ring ing my head no problem. But asked if i really needed it. Ahh i guess not. Once again was advised to stay with the oem and a set of kick a$$ studs.

Would it be correct to think O-rings allow focusing the clamping forces directly to the fire-rings of the head gasket?

See footprint of O-ring . . .

O-ring-Indentation-of-Headgasket-Fi.jpg

My head got pulled yesterday. I'm not against firinging but I know numerous people That Have O-ringed Cr Heads while using modified 12v Marine gaskets. I've seen tons of abuse out of them when done correctly. I think that is the Key when O-ringing the head is knowing how to do it. Also selecting the correct protrusion and wire size.Also selecting the gasket should be determined off of how much the head has been surfaced. I'm no expert on this but I've been doin a little homework and it seems as tho a0.051 wire with a protrusion of 0.012 is a popular tried and true Set-up.
Also I don't believe in dropping Compression a lot

Woodruff Diesel has a few CR trucks out that are o-ringed and so far hasn't had any failures.

Lavon