Removing Dana 80 axle nuts w/ no tools.

RubberDuck

Death Row Inmate #1
Guys, I came up with a way to remove those pesky axle nuts if you don't have the big socket.

Drive Shaft U-joint straps!!!!!!!

Install the U-strap with one leg in the axle shaft bolt hole, and the other leg inside the hub housing over one of the flats on the axle nut. Install one directly across from it going the same direction.

Then, using your hub and lugs for leverage, spin the nut off slowly, using your thumbs to hold the straps in place. It's a loose fit, so hold them tightly, and spin it slow. The strap will wedge itself in between teh nut and axle hub. Heres the pics, enjoy, and I hope it helps.

Attachments

• 100_6448.JPG
    100_6448.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 175
  • 100_6447.JPG
    100_6447.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 152
  • 100_6449.JPG
    100_6449.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 139
Well this comes a year late for me.Had to get the socket.Good ingenuity wish i would of come up with it.

And I assume this works with the D70, right?

I wedged a flat screwdriver in there and used a 1" boxed end wrench. Put the screw driver in at a angle, put the wrench on a stud, lay the wrench on the hub or another stud, and unscrew.

Dang that is some good injunity there, but I just grab the socket, its a little easier.

just worked on my '00 last week, jammed a pry bar in it. But that's a pretty slick trick there.