Repeat head gasket failure. Oil out front of head every time

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Got a friend with a 06 cummins with a built motor and twins. It cracked a head so he put a new o-ringed cummins head on and ever since it keeps blowing the head gasket and pouring oil out the front of the head. Got it together last night and it made it about 5 miles and the same thing happened for the 3rd time. Arp 625 studs, block and head checked by a machine shop, .010 protrusion on the o-rings, composite gasket with drilled steam holes. The head was checked by 2 different machinists and the block was checked by a mobile machinist. Anyone got any recommendations?

I had the same issues with my 01,went to fire ring and haven't had issues
Seems to disintegrate the gasket and follow the path to the front

What about going to .005 protrusion and going back to the MLS gasket?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Any ideas? Heads about to come off for the 4th time. Not alot of fun with twins and dual fuelers.

Any reason a mls gasket was not installed the first time? Just curious is all.

Any reason a mls gasket was not installed the first time? Just curious is all.
They were told by their machinist to not run orings with a MLS gasket, the composite gasket works just fine on their low 9 second 12 valve Drag Truck so not sure what's going on here

He tried a MLS gasket. Lasted a little longer but still blew! Head been off 4x now and about to be 5

Same torque wrench every time? Same machine shop every time? Same brand of gasket every time?

Something is very wrong

I'll guess loose head bolts/studs.

Last edited:
Wow, 15 days? Maybe he should take it to another shop. I feel like a head gasket on a Cummins is pretty straight forward.

He's sure they're going through the correct torque sequence? Going in torque steps? Not hooking up the exhaust manifold and turbo w/ downpipe first because it's easier that way?

Whats the Oil pressure putting out check with a mechanical gauge. I have seen to high of oil pressure eat gaskets quick

I wondered if the pressure relief valve is stuck shut.

96 3500 5x018 7mm dvs 62fmw

Back