Ring Gear? 10.25 / 10.5 differences

sredish

Where am I?
Okay. On my Black 03, I run 4.56s that I had a shop put in, me supplying the Yukon parts, don't remember the part specs. My R&P went out 2 months ago. Me and a bud ordered new gears and install parts, put it in and set it up per spec. Well, 1,000 miles later, it's squealing and not happy. So, I take it to Ford to make sure it's done right, thinking maybe I screwed it up. Ordered more parts and gave them to Ford.

Well, the called me just now saying they know why the R&P is failing. It's because Randy's is sending me a ring/pinion for a 10.25 and I have a 10.5 axle.

I was always under the impression the axles were virtually the same but the identification changed because of some small change that doesn't really affect anything important. Am I wrong? Is this true that I have a 10.5 and the 10.25 parts are not interchangeable? I'm going to call Randys now but wanted to run it by you guys as well. It's been like 4 weeks now w/o my black truck and I'm just ready to pull my fu*king hair out. :bang All this over a stupid simple ring and pinion. I'm about ready to tell Ford to put some 4.88s in it and lets get it done.

Later.

Yep, as far as I know they use the same ones but iirc you do have to use the supplied shim kit or something like that. I get mine from Randy's also. Pretty sure I'd take their info over Ford's. :D

The difference is the ring gear is 0.25" smaller at the inner pinion bearing is larger on the 10.25" rear axle.

Yes, you can install 10.25" gears in a 10.5" axle, most aftermarket gear sets are 10.25". You just have to be sure to use the proper pinion bearings. Otherwise your mesh pattern will suck azz LOL

Personally, I prefer to just get a whole new master install kit whenever gears are installed.

DCSpecial said:
The difference is the ring gear is 0.25" smaller at the inner pinion bearing is larger on the 10.25" rear axle.

Yes, you can install 10.25" gears in a 10.5" axle, most aftermarket gear sets are 10.25". You just have to be sure to use the proper pinion bearings. Otherwise your mesh pattern will suck azz LOL

Personally, I prefer to just get a whole new master install kit whenever gears are installed.

Yea, talked to the guy at Randys about it for a bit and told Ford to suck it up and quit being dumbasses. I already knew it'd work but wanted to verify before telling them to go forward.