Rising Fuel Pressure

riggz

Night Train
The other day I noticed my fuel pressure rising while driving down the highway. It normally sits right at 49-50psi while idling and driving normally. A couple days ago I'm driving at about 75mph for about 30 minutes and I notice the gauge slighty creeping up. It finally peaked out at 65psi when I got home. It seems to seems to stay up there now. Is this indicating something is about to go wrong?

The sender is located in the test port of the fuel bowl on the engine.

not that i know of, usually when something is about to go wrong your fuel pressure would be dropping, never really seen fuel pressure rise like that.

that's what I've always thought too. i just dont want to have the system start leaking or screw something up from being over pressured.

The fuel system is all stock. Only thing I'm running is a custom tune from Spartan Diesel via SCT Xcal2. But it's been the same tune for years.

The spring can break and bind up. Take the side of the fuel bowl off and inspect.

Sounds like a spring issue. Like Doug said, take the regulator off and inspect everything. Look for wear marks on the valve and make sure the spring is working properly.

If it is busted and I take it apart will I be left stranded until I can get a new spring?

sometimes mine will rise from 54 or 55 to 61. I havent seen any problems. I would just say maybe its the spring acting wierd?

You can always just go to the dealer and get the internals. Then just plan on rebuilding it. There isn't much to the regulator