S300sx3 vs gtx3582r??

I have a GT3788R on my 12V. Obviously spool is a little slower due to turbine housing side but I still think its reasonable. I'm going to give the billet wheel from Jose a shot shortly. Me and a few others have been waiting for it foaming at the mouth. The GT3788R is well known for turbo surge but mine doesn't seem to unless I am loafing up a big hill at the bottom of any gear. If I drive more proactively it's not an issue. Cool down time is extremely deminished. Only thing necessary is plumbing the coolant lines which are provided and not hard. I love the turbo, the wheel just sucks. GTX should make it better.

I've also noticed this thing hardly ever barks at me. I very rarely hop off the throttle, but the times I've had to do an oh sh!t stop it didn't bark nearly as bad as the HX did. Course the HX was trashed I guess... I think GTX37 will be an interesting piece. Really cannot wait.

I can't wait to hear the reviews in regards to the billet wheel. I wish I could find any sort of review on the GTX35 to compare it to either the stage 2 or 3 or anything else for that matter. Thanks for your input.

GTX will flow more. It's larger at 63.5. Depends upon your goals and usage. Mines for 2.5 so it fits the ticket.

I have been back and forth with joe and jose at Forced Induction. I was told that Toms answer would be anything but the gtx35; doesn't like the the 35 for whatever reason. I think I am pretty well sold on the 35 however I do have a few questions:

On an aftermarket turbo how do you connect the compressor side to the intercooler boots as the outlet points at the right tire where the stock or any of the "stage" turbos have a 90 built into the turbo that points forward?

Any better ideas on t4 ar housings? I was set on the t4 1.06 to help keep dp down but am I going too far?

As for a primary for twins I was between a gt4202/t6 or a gtx4508/t6 depending on what the future holds; but that is a conversation for another day....

Btw: in the 65k miles I have had my truck it has never seen a trailer or more than 1k in the bed, it's a toy. I hate lag and the smarty smoke has gotten old. I want twins now but the checkbook says no. I want longevity over cheap hence the love of Garrett and building one piece at a time.

Where the @#!*% is EFILIVE anyway! (Rant off)

Not true. he sold me a gt3582r without any issues, we discussed my needs and thats what we came up with. It seems you have decided garrett over the s300 which I think is smart considering the future desire for twins. The ball bearing cartridge is way stronger and will live much longer in a secondary situation.

The GTX flows about 7 lb/min more than the 3788, but since its a smaller wheel on the inducer and excluder it will light faster. It's a better wheel for sure, but as you mentioned the turbine side is smaller, so it will also spool faster and make more boost at any given load.

The reason I brought up the stage 2 or 3 was that you mentioned twins, and if the cost difference was large the performance vs cost may not have been there, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

The main difference on all 3 stages is the compressor. The other difference is the turbine housing on the 1/2 is a .89 and the 3 uses a .99 (but Turbo Re-Soirce will sell it with a .89)

Stage 1 uses the 59.1x62mm comp from the GT3782
Stage 2 uses the 61.:x62mm comp from the GT3582R
Stage 3 uses the 63.5x88mm comp and is a true GT3788R, with an application specific turbine housing and comp cover.

82mm exducer.

Just noticed a typo, stage 2 uses a 61.4x62mm wheel.

I would love a set of GT37/GT42 twins, insane spool and great flow.. but $$$.

I know you already have the T4, but what about a Stage 2 for now and then put the 4202 under it later? The Stage 2 is a little less flow than the GTX, but has the slightly larger turbine and is cheaper. Just a thought.

For how I use my truck this turbo is perfect, spool is great (even with the trailer in tow at 8K feet) and the air is cool.

Yes mine has the GT37 turbine with the GT35 61.4mm comp wheel, except under heavy acceleration my drive pressure is always 1:1 or better. Towing up grades it will be as low as .75:1 and empty cruise is about 1:1 or slightly better.

A hybrid GT37 turbine with the GTX35 wheel would be VERY temping.

If I did it again I would still ditch the stocker in a heartbeat and probably end up where I am at, or look at the hybrid.

As for twins I would put a GT4202R under this turbo now, but how I use the truck I am not sure the 1-2 times a year I "need" the extra air is worth the cost.

For performance twins the GTX would make a screaming secondary.

I am not a wiz at reading turbine maps, but it looks like the 1.06 on GTX will flow a little more than the .89 in the GT37 than I have, and 10 lb/min more compressor flow.

Have you talked with Tom at Turbo Re-Source, or Pat with Big Twin Diesel?

Gtx35 wheel doesn't just bolt on a gt37 frame.

82mm exducer.

Whoops, noticed one typo and not the other.. it's too bad we can't edit after 15 minutes.

Gtx35 wheel doesn't just bolt on a gt37 frame.

I understood that it would bolt to the shaft. Is the GTX35 shaft different than the GT35 shaft in terms of size? Or is the GT3582R comp wheel on my GT3782R a modified wheel?

Either way the housings will need to be modified, so not a bolt on mod regardless.

I am still not sure you can even buy the GTX35 wheel without a CHRA.

Whoops, noticed one typo and not the other.. it's too bad we can't edit after 15 minutes.

I understood that it would bolt to the shaft. Is the GTX35 shaft different than the GT35 shaft in terms of size? Or is the GT3582R comp wheel on my GT3782R a modified wheel?

Either way the housings will need to be modified, so not a bolt on mod regardless.

I am still not sure you can even buy the GTX35 wheel without a CHRA.

35 and 37 shaft size is different. Your stg 2 wheel is stock.

Not through Garrett you can't.

The stage 2 wheel is a GT35 wheel on a GT37 center/turbine, so what do you mean by stock?

Just get a GTX3788R and call it a day... That's what I'll be working with if it'll be good enough to compete in 2.5. If not its time for a BW.

As soon as Jose gets in the wheels there will be. Just got off the phone with him earlier.

Yes they are, but are you having a Garrett 11 blade wheel or a different manufacturer's wheel installed?