Samurai Crawler Project

Craig_C

Resident Smartass
Well figured even though Im a long way from done, this forum needs more build threads. And since there isnt an offroad section on here, figured it might as well go here! Ive always been into offroad, quads, sxs's, and now building a rock crawler for the family to enjoy. If it wasnt for having a little girl I want to be able to take along, I would have likely built a tube buggy.

So after selling an XR50 that never got used, and some Craigslisting and junkyarding, I set off to a junkyard by my house to strike a deal on a Suzuki Sidekick 4 door that had front end damage. But after walking around the yard for a bit, heres what I hauled home....

Phone148.jpg

Phone147.jpg

So instead of getting a vehicle that ran and drove, I couldnt pass up the rather good shape Sami tin top. But I had to get rid of some things I wouldnt be needing....like everything except the body, frame, and dash!

Phone170.jpg

All this while trying to finish an engine overhaul that ended up lasting 2 years in the tow pig....

A1E5236B-E3D5-4B98-BEF6-797C718CCF4E-1660-000000C0362D6C5F.jpg

Nice, those little Sammys can go nearly anywhere if they are set up right! Have fun with it. What engine and drivetrain are you going to use in it? I think that Cummins would weight more than the Sammy!!!

Now theres alot of pics I didnt take that I wish I had, like the $500 score on a non-running but complete 85 VW Jetta diesel. About 20 mins after it was pulled into the shop, it was pulled out with no engine! The car never left the trailer. Sold the tires, threw some junk in the trunk and scrapped the car. After all that was done, I now had a complete engine for about $180!!

Then there was alot of driving....Indiana, Ky, TN to get good deals on parts that popped up over time, like the 18" air shocks, BNIB for $500.

I wanted to run an auto trans, no big deal there, got a 3 speed from a Tracker, complete with transfer for $100.

I wanted to run a low tranfer case gear, but also wanted a transfer capable of front digs, 2wd low, etc. So a dana 300 was found. I cut the stock Geo transfer, and spent countless hours making an adaptor plate to mate the 300 to the Geo. Found someone at a machine shop to fab a new shaft....and then made an engine to trans adaptor plate......and heres what I have now!

3AC23C93-07F7-45A3-AAC7-1F103B714775-972-000001060AB43F0B.jpg

Lol no the CR is for my truck! I have a bad habit of taking on multiple projects at once!!

The issue with the VW was the fact it was a supposed "run away". After tearing the engine down, I found no damage, and honestly the bearings, cyls, pistons, all looked great for having 200k miles. The head was a little iffy, the prechambers had some cracks I didnt like, so I found a new reman head on Ebay for cheap! New rings, ARP studs, a MLS headgasket, and some Cummins paint were in order!

I also couldnt find anything wrong with the engine to cause a run away, other than oil in the intake, so I can only assume the turbo was passing oil...so might as well rebuild it too!

3C210FD5-E0A1-4A40-8AB4-F41BFACB7A80.jpg

783ED833-AEE8-42A6-ACD4-FBE3578D9A6D.jpg

84599B0D-CCB7-4C1A-A9CC-8A42E61E69BA.jpg

Made an adaptor for a remote oil cooler/filter setup
4D9FF235-8EB5-4497-87F2-AB3EB3C01B87.jpg

I at first based everthing off a 36 inch tire, then a 38, and now gonna go big instead of staying home and step up to a 39.5. When I first started this build all my buddies rigs were mostly on 35's. Now, there mostly 38's and 39.5's! Gotta keep up with the Jones I guess! For wheels, I wanted a beadlock, and after some research, decided on H1 Hummer wheels. Thanks to my boss for the plasma work and welding....guess he was bored and needed something to do. Heres a little frame mock-up shot. It will have a low ride height (no more that 20" frame to ground).

13CA57C0-0400-40D8-AEDA-9F73C0E8C58C.jpg

Engine was strapped to a pallet and test ran! All good other than the leaky IP
(The booty-fab exhaust stack is just temporary!)

D53B7C0E-DCE1-40B1-8537-F28254264C28.jpg

Those 38's are for sale BTW if anyone wants to save a little cash!!

The axles are Toyota 8", rear is from an IFS truck (3 inches wider than the old soild axle truck axles) and the front is a solid Toy front with newer 4Runner hubs (widens the front axle to match the rear). 5.29 gears, a Detroit locker will go up front, and a spool will likely find a home in the rear. Gonna run Longfields up front, and stockers out back. The stock Yota rear has been proven to be stronger than a Dana 44, and Ive seen what they will go through!

Now, I wanted a low center of gravity. The drivetrain was lowered as much as possible while still allowing a flat skidplate. It was also pushed back about 6 inches. Off the shelf Sami/VW diesel conversion mounts wasnt gonna cut it....so lets build some mounts! The passenger side was a little tricky, as there will be a driveshaft and top link running right below it....hope it all fits! BTW, no pics but the frame is plated with 1/8th all the way down.

30B5D80A-3F5F-4CF2-80A1-1C09F470EB00.jpg

5F62C419-FEF2-4C5C-A7C8-6DD0BBB8D8BF.jpg

E40B137F-F61A-4470-B596-3306AAE01F2D.jpg

BC6AF7B5-B06E-4239-83D8-6C119E1E596A.jpg

Last edited:
Ive been working on this for going on a year and half, and with work, other projects, and lack of funds, its easy to push it off to the side and forget about it. Sometimes you need a little motivation. Luckily my friend usually has no girlfriend and therefore usually has an empty passenger seat in his mostly stock toyota! :hehe:

Phone314.jpg

The group of guys I ride with mostly just ride gravel roads and smooth crusing trails :lolly:

BTW, the blue Sami is also VW Diesel powered

39B18ACC-E24F-40BB-B530-294E11F4B4AC.jpg

5FA4A6E9-FE51-4651-B06F-5569897DEF0E.jpg

9732580D-71B8-4C0B-AD68-A0749D96CE75.jpg

DA30D028-EF22-497B-AB7A-DE35024108FA.jpg

Gotta love a sami! Ive owned about a dozen of them over the last 2 years or so running anything from stock on its knees, supercharged 1.3l, 1.6l 8v and 16vs, to 4.3l v6. The are a blast and if setup right damn near bullet proof. My current sami has a 1.6l 8v fuel inj, with 3spd auto and sami tcase, 3 link front and rear on old school 33" buckshots and 5.38 gears in difs. For the type of riding we do its bulletproof mainly muddy backwoods trails keep this thread going im looking forward to the updates! Bodie member Speedshift is into samis as well he just ditched his vw engine ans went with a ls motor i believe.
Here's a pic of my current sami
sy6ejy8e.jpg

^^ Clean ride!! That body is too nice on yours to do what we like to do!!

Between me and 3 other friends we will have 6 Suzukis, me having the only one thats not a Sami. My dd is a 4 door Sidekick!

Was close to getting a Sami but just bought a YJ with SOA, 35's, 700r4 and a 305.

Love the Sammy's !!! I've owned a few and miss them . Took them to the badlands in Attica IN many times . I had a vw diesel one too , also had one I converted to efi and installed a turbo that one was wicked .

^^ Clean ride!! That body is too nice on yours to do what we like to do!!

Between me and 3 other friends we will have 6 Suzukis, me having the only one thats not a Sami. My dd is a 4 door Sidekick!

Thanks and thats the exact reason it isnt cut up the body on it was too nice to cut fenders etc although I do want to do a real tight maybe even removable exo cage on it. The thing rides so much better with the coilover suspension I absolutely hate a spoa sami on stock springs a chuckwagon rides and flex's better. I had the whole body gone over last year and bedlinered that color top to bottom and the bumpers frame rails and side steps/rock sliders done black rolled it over right after I had all that done and put a whiskey dent in front driver fender but ohh well gives it character :bang. Keep up the good work the fab looks great looking forward to seeing more progress!

Me too hoping I can get back to it in the next week or two!

Hey man not to clutter up your thread but how did you go about using an MLS gasket? I am about to put studs and a gasket in my 85 jetta but from what I have read it takes some modification to run an MLS. Mine is a mechanical lifter engine can't tell if yours is hydraulic or mechanical from the pictures.

Hey man not to clutter up your thread but how did you go about using an MLS gasket? I am about to put studs and a gasket in my 85 jetta but from what I have read it takes some modification to run an MLS. Mine is a mechanical lifter engine can't tell if yours is hydraulic or mechanical from the pictures.

Mine is a mechanical. The aftermarket head I got had round coolant ports, so i was able to tap the hole for a pipe plug. On the block side I used a copper washer that fit the hole in the gasket and some grey rtv. I havent had coolant in it yet though so Im not sure if its gonna work!

Got a little more done, finished plating the frame and made the lower link mounts....

EA093AFA-BDB0-46FA-9E17-5B7912F8766B.jpg

8EB3DAD1-687D-4F6C-9205-B9EA8F1E5031.jpg

0531E46C-8217-4F3C-B2F8-4E93A023361A.jpg

DC385A38-6259-4709-9768-87CF77D694DE.jpg

66B43E7B-868D-49B0-9439-711643C78C98.jpg

Mine is a mechanical. The aftermarket head I got had round coolant ports, so i was able to tap the hole for a pipe plug. On the block side I used a copper washer that fit the hole in the gasket and some grey rtv. I havent had coolant in it yet though so Im not sure if its gonna work!

Awesome thanks! I had read I just had to block off a port but wasn't sure if that was it. That helps. Great build man! Buddy of mine did a samurai vw build and it's a sweet setup.

Sent from my Obama foneeeeeee!!!!! (Jay Kay)

Back