Scanning H&S tunes w/ EFILive

Mopar Muscle

Can you scan the H&S tunes with EFILive? I have a BlackMaxx that I am getting ready to remove (not planning on selling it). I'd like to have the tunes saved in EFILive in case it takes a while to get mine own tune up and going. Will EFILive recognize their tunes?

Can you scan the H&S tunes with EFILive? I have a BlackMaxx that I am getting ready to remove (not planning on selling it). I'd like to have the tunes saved in EFILive in case it takes a while to get mine own tune up and going. Will EFILive recognize their tunes?

Just return the truck to stock, you can still download the black max anytime you need.

Nope...H&S has their tunes locked...the ECM wont allow it to be read.

I've read a mini maxx tune out, but the tune that read out was only the stock level. Logging on hot was much different than the tables I could see. I've heard h&s had their own custom os with tables efi doesn't show, something like a custom dsp ish tune.
Haven't read an xrt pro yet to see what it looks like. Have one lined up to check out and will report back if anyone want to see it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

All of them will read, but as mentioned, you get basically a stock file. Except for the xrt. Its designed to be unplugged and thus doesn't return to stock as soon as u unplug it. Pretty nasty files though. I was shocked. 39.2 deg of timing with a ton of pulse.

All of them will read, but as mentioned, you get basically a stock file. Except for the xrt. Its designed to be unplugged and thus doesn't return to stock as soon as u unplug it. Pretty nasty files though. I was shocked. 39.2 deg of timing with a ton of pulse.

So on the XRT, you can read them, view the tune, but you can't modify it or reflash it?

So on the XRT, you can read them, view the tune, but you can't modify it or reflash it?

You can modify and reflash it. I've read all of them. One thing I haven't tried is to install a pig tailed OBD port. So that I have two. My guess is that the BM & MM have a security feature built in that returns to stock when they are unplugged. But I didn't really care to test that far.

However, with the xrt. its designed to be loaded and unplugged like the smarty. So you can read the files, change em, and reflash em.

I want to caution anybody trying this though. There's what 3000 lines of code in the 6.7 ECM. EFi only allows you access to (I haven't actually counted, so just guessing) 150 ish?? Maybe.. Somewhere in there. Regardless, there's lots of other area's that get changed that EFI doesn't give you access to. So if you read out an xrt file, modify it and reflash it. Be prepared for differnt results than what you expect.

Best thing to do is start from your stock file. Modify that to what you want. leave the box tuners crap alone. What we can see looks scary to me. The last xrt file I read had 39.2 deg's of timing built into it. And a lot of pulse. Don't see how any stock truck could keep up with that much pulse width.

Just read out your stock file and start with a clean slate. In my oppinion its easier that way. You don't have the possiblity of little gremlins in the tuning that you can't see.

So, if the 09.5+ guys won't be able to get TCM access then it's either B&G or Co-pilot? Or is there another way to keep trans tuning?

So, if the 09.5+ guys won't be able to get TCM access then it's either B&G or Co-pilot? Or is there another way to keep trans tuning?

unless I'm mistaken. Isn't the 09.5 - 2012 back to a pcm instead of an independent ECM & TCM?? Maybe I'm off my rocker here..

you're correct Dave, 2010+ have a single engine mounted computer that controls engine and transmission like the 04-07 5.9

it's a funky looking unit when you compare it to the 98-09 ECM's!

you're correct Dave, 2010+ have a single engine mounted computer that controls engine and transmission like the 04-07 5.9

it's a funky looking unit when you compare it to the 98-09 ECM's!

Ok. Great. I thought so. just wasn't 100% sure.

So with that in mind. I think the 09.5-2012 guys will have the same transmission controls as the 06-07 guys have now (aside from mechanical differences between the 48re and the 68rfe). Since there's only one PCM to crack, once they have done that and have all the engine paramaters mapped out. its only a mater of mapping out the transmission parameters. Right now they are having a bit of an issue cracking the TCM on the 07.5-09 models. But with the 09.5-2012 that won't be an issue as it will already be done.

You guys should be good. Looks like the only bastard years are going to be the 07.5-09. But hopefully Ross can get it done without too much effort.

Sorry about that Dave. I guess I should have said, Trans Tuning. LOL

You can modify and reflash it. I've read all of them. One thing I haven't tried is to install a pig tailed OBD port. So that I have two. My guess is that the BM & MM have a security feature built in that returns to stock when they are unplugged. But I didn't really care to test that far.

However, with the xrt. its designed to be loaded and unplugged like the smarty. So you can read the files, change em, and reflash em.

I want to caution anybody trying this though. There's what 3000 lines of code in the 6.7 ECM. EFi only allows you access to (I haven't actually counted, so just guessing) 150 ish?? Maybe.. Somewhere in there. Regardless, there's lots of other area's that get changed that EFI doesn't give you access to. So if you read out an xrt file, modify it and reflash it. Be prepared for differnt results than what you expect.

Best thing to do is start from your stock file. Modify that to what you want. leave the box tuners crap alone. What we can see looks scary to me. The last xrt file I read had 39.2 deg's of timing built into it. And a lot of pulse. Don't see how any stock truck could keep up with that much pulse width.

Just read out your stock file and start with a clean slate. In my oppinion its easier that way. You don't have the possiblity of little gremlins in the tuning that you can't see.

Pig tails won't work with EFI, at least with anything else plugged into it and reading off the other pig tail at the same time you're trying to connect via EFI.

I've seen the readouts from box tuners as well, best I can guess is the program to the moon and rely on limiters to keep things from melting :bang

Pig tails won't work with EFI, at least with anything else plugged into it and reading off the other pig tail at the same time you're trying to connect via EFI.

I've seen the readouts from box tuners as well, best I can guess is the program to the moon and rely on limiters to keep things from melting :bang

That's no lie. I am still amazed at what I used to have on my truck. Can't believe it..