Screwed up, video inside.

addictedtodezel

I floored the truck from a dead stop and when the turbo lit I heard a lot of popping almost like the truck was backfiring. I don't have 60# valvesprings either.... When the truck is started it just pops and dumps a bunch of grey smoke almost like its not running on all cylinders. So did I slap a valve or what? I'd really like some help on this I'm down a truck now. And I know I'm an idiot...
[ame="http://s1034.photobucket.com/albums/a425/dieselkicksgas/?action=view&current=IMG_0533.mp4"]IMG_0533.mp4 video by dieselkicksgas - Photobucket[/ame]
IMG_0535.jpg

when I've slipped timing, at idle it will smoke like crazy, and when you hit the throttle it chugged and popped. Sometimes I couldnt even drive the truck at all, then I finally learned to use brake cleaner on the pump shaft.

Wow I'm glad to hear that I really wasn't wanting to take the head off. I guess I can just bump the timing up and see if that fixes my problem.

In the picture below the video it doesn't look like #4 cylinder intakes pushrod is bent?

I cant watch the video at work and cant tell from the picture but if you have a bent pushrod or one that isnt seated it will make a pretty annoying "popping" noise. If you think one is bent I would pull them all and check them.

Do you have a timing kit so that you can check to see what the timing is at exactly? Otherwise it seems like you could be guessing all day trying to get it right.

No I don't have a timing kit... Someone else said loosen the lash on the valves and see if any stick to check and make sure they're not bent.

I would just take the rockers off and take them out. Thats the only way you can inspect the entire rod for damage.

I would verify/set timing before I started pulling rockers. 4000rpm is fine on stock valvetrain for a couple momentary oopsies

That's what I was thinking also... I saw where Big Blue posted a way to set timing without a dial indicator, just using the harmonic balancer... I can't seem to find it though, would you guys happen to know this method?

Okay think I figured it out... Tell me if I'm wrong or not. To find TDC I need to turn the engine over till #6 exhaust and intake are on overlap, that means #1 is at TDC. Then pop the gear nut off and rotate the balancer the distance I want to advance the timing, or am I missing something? Sorry for my ignorance, and I appreciate all the help.

That would be fun to work on, I commend you on the vid so everyone can hear it, I slipped the timing so bad once that the motor wouldn't go above 1200 RPM's......follow Forrest, he knows his stuff!

Jim

First thoughts are either timing (as everyone else has said) or stuck injectors. My truck looked similar to that when it happened to me, I had 3 or 4 injectors that got stuck open. Sounded bad, lots of white smoke. I've slipped the timing before, but it went past the point of it being able to run.