SCT and Head Gaskets.....

Lifted94XLT

My last diesel (a 96 Dodge Ram 3500, 2wd, DRW, 12v Cummins) blew a head gasket with nothing more than a BHAF, Straigh Piped Exhaust and a #10 plate that was detuned.

I now have my 6.0, and have WAY too much money into the purchase price of this truck and can't afford doin head studs for a LONG time, but I REALLY want and SCT...... my question is.... you guys that run these..... am I gonna have to worry about my head gaskets goin if I run an SCT with a street, extreme, or even a looney tune?? I ask this b/c I've read that most get the best fuel mileage on the hottest tune. I don't really don't "play" that much, but you know youv'e got no choice when some kid in a honda civic pulls up next to you and acts like he's a harda**..... lol. Any help would be appreciated b4 I spend the money.

--Ryan

Give John Wood a call.
The best way to keep the head gaskets from being killed is to limit the revs and keep the advance down. John tunes the worlds quickest 6.0 PSD (Stroked Lightning) with the SCT and the stock head gaskets lived a long, long time. I actually think they never blew, but were replaced when other mods were done. I do believe that Stroked Lightning made its 11.51 run on with the original gaskets. If I am wrong Gene, please correct me.

yep we run the looney all the time on stock headbolts and no puking or blown gaskets! My favorite tunes are Dj's and Dougs Tunes.

The 6.0 is known to have headgasket issues even in stock form, so adding more power is a crap shoot. Some have had problems stock, others have thrown the aftermarket book at the 6.0 with no issues what so ever.
My opinion is that the safest way to add the power you want is with an SCT. Your tuner can control the little things that the off the shelf tuners can't, making for a much safer tune.
I have been running DJ's Looney tune for almost two years with no problems that I would say were directly caused by the tune, but I have had a turbo and headgaskets replaced under warranty.
My advice is go with a reputable tuner and you should'nt have problems from the tune.
I can understand your desire to smoke the ricers, I do it as well.:evil:
13 sec. 1/4 mile times are easily achieved with a SCT tune and a cat back exhaust. I know this because I have done it! 13.9 @ 95 mph with an early version of Innovatives Xtreme Street tune and an MBRP cat back exhaust

2005 6.0 with 34000 miles on it running ID's extreme street and I can't help but get on it every time I drive it! A couple oil changes and a fuel filter change other than that solid as can be. I felt the exact same way (Lifted 94)
but after installing a good SCT tune I kick myself for not doing it sooner I also ran a 13.91 with Intake exhaust and the SCT! ( And it was in the 90's that day !!! )

Mine used to not puke with one of Doug's aggressive Street files, now it PUKES LIKE A BIOOTTCH. Not dribble, I mean COAT the whole fenderwell, air intake area and everything around it; and consistently, can't hardly drive around, its not just when I'm hard on it.

You all think it could be the gaskets starting to **** out on me?

gah sredish you have had more bad luck with your truck than it seems of everyone on here, the break-in, the turbo issues, the power steering going out, and the trans issues and now the puking. That sucks!
Although you truck does look really good :)

Innovative Diesel Extreme Race file as a daily driver. 25k miles and beat to he!!. No problems yet. You know how it is...every customer that comes around with a 6.0l wants to know how it runs. Poor truck...:bang

I'd like to just say LOONEY power is my friend. Got me in the mid 13's on fuel ONLY with just the tune and exhaust.:rockwoot:

BFD99 said:
gah sredish you have had more bad luck with your truck than it seems of everyone on here, the break-in, the turbo issues, the power steering going out, and the trans issues and now the puking. That sucks!
Although you truck does look really good :)

thanks for the words bro, and don't remind me. above all, my truck actually hasn't been too bad, but it seems here lately there's been an accumulation of little things that have snowballed into a bunch of chit, not too mention a dealer that won't fix it or is too stupid maybe... if things would be fixed the first time like they're supposed to be, then it'd would've been a lot easier, but yea, this has been a HARD year for my truck; starting all the way back in Jan. I'm towing the truck to a new, very highly recommended dealer today after lunch and hopefully get it worked out completely in the next few weeks or so and end the year off succesfully to start a new leaf this Jan. :stab:

sredish said:
Mine used to not puke with one of Doug's aggressive Street files, now it PUKES LIKE A BIOOTTCH. Not dribble, I mean COAT the whole fenderwell, air intake area and everything around it; and consistently, can't hardly drive around, its not just when I'm hard on it.

You all think it could be the gaskets starting to **** out on me?

Thats what happened when my gaskets went:doh:

i wish mine was in the 13's my best so far is 14.2. sct,intake,exhaust,intercooler.

thank you to all of you that replied...... I'm set one using ID tunes (no offense to the other guys) and I'm lookin for the best possibly fuel mileage I can get outta my 3.73s and 35's (b'c they're killing me right now) so I was planning on runnin the looney tune full time and being nice (when I can convince my foot to). so I just wanted to make sure that I won't have this programmer (when I buy it) and tune for a couple months, then have to come up with the money to get the HGs changed, b/c I have a feeling the dealership wouldn't warranty it with the programmer had been installed.
--Ryan

Never go to the dealer with any type of tuner/box installed...you will lose the tune if you are reflashed and a power adder like that is pretty much an instant warranty void

Hey ya'll, just wanted to ask a stupid question,,, what is a looney tune ? I see Superchip and bullydog and hypertech all over but no one seems to handle anything else around here. I try and read up on all latest and greatest but when it comes to these custom tunes I am totally confused...HELP !!!!

nummit said:
Never go to the dealer with any type of tuner/box installed...you will lose the tune if you are reflashed and a power adder like that is pretty much an instant warranty void

sorry, I didn't explain properly. I didn't mean leave it installed, I meant take it back to stock, but won't the dealership be able to tell that the tune has been in there??? ghost codes or what have you.

--Ryan

Back