Secondary ? What do you think ?

Mountaineer

Comp D's Doe Killer
As you can see here I have this Edge/Turbonetics turbo which is to the best of my knowledge a T-58 compressor ( 58.4 mm inducer) with a 68mm 10blade Q-trim turbine. The turbine housing is .84 A/R and a 4" V-Band outlet.
Its non-wastegated, has a mass flow of around 60 lbs/min, with a peak pressure ratio of 3.8. I plan on running it as a single to see how well it will hold up to me putting it through the paces, before I use it as a secondary.
I have read as many threads as possible on this turbo and understand the very first ones had issues. Turbonetics supposedly took care of the issue.
I wanted a BB/BB , but was deterred in useing a BB as a seconday because I was told they have no side load dampening ability,and thought that maybe a turbo with a front ceramic thrust bearing and rear ball bearing might live longer and be more robust in this application.

DSC01110.JPG

As of today, I plan on a GT4202R as a primary, maybe a 4508R. ? I dont know what would fit it better. The 2/3 ratio would be a 77mm comp which is about right in the middle of the two.
I know I will be running a Ext. gate but am unsure of what size at the moment.
The truck is just a street truck and spool-up is a main concern.
So...... lets here it.

DSC01116.JPG

On a side note, I did ride in 35/K31 truck, loved it, and hope that the above setup will spool just as nice as they did.

Thanks,
Eric

Last edited:
It's beautiful! I believe turbomatt1 ran one for awhile as a single in his silver truck.

Still running it. Mines the 66 / 84ar & It has many hard miles on it so far.
IMHO the baddest street single on the market.
Wich turbo do you plan to mate it to ?

optimal would be an 80mm wheel.

I have a GT42-02 as a primary feeding a 60mm HX40 as a compromise. works well.

Matt, does your charger use the GTQ turbine?

No. It's an off the shelf HP66 w/ 84ar non waistgated Ex housing.
I dont think they offer the GTK for our trucks. looks intresting, though.

Matt, do you think my Turbonetics B/B 66/81 will work fine and why no external gate.

Jim

No. It's an off the shelf HP66 w/ 84ar non waistgated Ex housing.
I dont think they offer the GTK for our trucks. looks intresting, though.
They offer it, but recommend the ported shrouded housing instead.

Matt, do you think my Turbonetics B/B 66/81 will work fine and why no external gate.

Jim

IMHO Waistgates are for twins, bottle babys, or turbos without a good warantee. :poke: :bigsmile:

Jim...Yours is an 81 A/R ex housing?

Well I got er on there about 12:30 last night , 3.5 hours before I had to go to work. I ran it to work with the downpipe and it was loud. Sounded like a Lear Jet .The whistle is crazy. My initial thoughts are..... Pulls alot harder up top, sounds great, but going from the Hx-35, Its not as quick out of the hole.
I will post more later.

Either it's too big for me or I have a boost leak somewhere. I'm gonna check to see if there are any and if not I am going go back and overfuel the 35.

Either it's too big for me or I have a boost leak somewhere. I'm gonna check to see if there are any and if not I am going go back and overfuel the 35.

I understand what your saying, there are times that I think I was happier with my hx 35, and 5x16 injectors compared to what I have now. I loved the felling of being able to stomp it from a stand still and break the tires lose almost instantly. Now it won't even try to do that. to doggy on the bottom.

like this:

now it wouldn't spool till the end of the parking lot probably.:nail:

Last edited:
I found the boost leak right before I sold my black truck when it felt the same way. The intercooler had 4" holes blown on both ends. :doh:

IMHO Waistgates are for twins, bottle babys, or turbos without a good waranteepoke: :bigsmile:

Jim...Yours is an 81 A/R ex housing?

Sorry I missed this, I sometimes forget were I post!

Yes it has a .81 housing on it, I have no plans to sell it and I see no reason as of now, don't figure it would bring enough to justify buying something else.

Jim

I would imagine so. My stock IC had quite a few bulges and holes in the core. I replaced it with one of the HD IC's from New Era Diesel and found all kinds of new boost.

I understand what your saying, there are times that I think I was happier with my hx 35, and 5x16 injectors compared to what I have now. I loved the felling of being able to stomp it from a stand still and break the tires lose almost instantly. Now it won't even try to do that. to doggy on the bottom.

:

When I first went to a big single, I had exactally the same thoughts. but then I reinstalled my altered AFC with a much heavier spring, & responce was a LOT better without all the low end overfueling. Still wont lite like a 35 with a 14 housing, but it's very streetable.

When I first went to a big single, I had exactally the same thoughts. but then I reinstalled my altered AFC with a much heavier spring, & responce was a LOT better without all the low end overfueling. Still wont lite like a 35 with a 14 housing, but it's very streetable.

Looks like I may be rockin the same turbo here soon Matt! I suppose I'll swap the stiff spring from the TST kit in the AFC as well. To be honest though i'm not sure this turbo is any laggier then the stocker with the 21cm housing i'm running now. Time will tell!

Note to self, don't give turbo review until boost leak check is complete.

Yea, tonight finally made the piece to pressurize the system, and found nice leak in under the heater grid. Much better :rockwoot:

I wanted a BB/BB , but was deterred in useing a BB as a seconday because I was told they have no side load dampening ability,and thought that maybe a turbo with a front ceramic thrust bearing and rear ball bearing might live longer and be more robust in this application.

Thanks,
Eric

I would not be worried using a Mid Frame Turbonetics unit with a 76 or 80mm comp wheel. They are an extremely robust charger. I have been running Mid Frames as single charger's for 2 years now, and the only thing we upgraded was the shaft size, we stepped it up to a Y2K shaft and the one I have now has been flawless. I would at least do a little more research through Turbonetics or a distributor before you make your decision. Good luck with your new setup either way you go.

-Tom