Self - built VGT compounds/ dual pumps

6spdCR

Built this setup for my 2003 6spd in June of 2012. I wanted to get some miles on it before posted something, that way I have good info to pass along. High pressure turbo is a holset HE431VETI Which specs at 60/74 T4i with a 25 cm variable exh. Housing mounted on a t4 straight steed manifold. Low pressure turbo is a cast s475 with a 92 exh. Wheel in a 1.10 T6 housing. It has twin stock cp3s that I built a custom cog drive belt setup for to minimize side loading of the pump. Bottom end is stock with arp 2000s at 155 lbs/ft and original factory gasket. Flux 3.5 injectors. Twin walbros and 2 micron filter setup. Tuning is only a TST R49 and Mp8. Truck runs awsome, no smoke, almost instant spool and gets around 15 mpg betting the tar out of it and cruising at 80 on the highway. Controlling the turbo with a fleece controller and my own program and exhaust brake. Can build 20 psi by 1400 rpm loaded in 6th gear. Questions and comments welcomed.
my7uzery.jpg

qu9eqa9y.jpg

usu5u9ar.jpg

a7e6ana8.jpg

yqy5yzer.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

I love how you built your dual pump setup! Show some more pictures of that. Sweet build all together!

i like it! be interested to see what torque is like. time for a dyno run.

It's a JGS drive pressure filter. Top notch product and they just made some revisions to improve filtering and mounting options. I will add more details later. I've owned this truck for 7 years and everything on I modify on it is aimed towards making it the ultimate daily driver. I have never dynoed it. But for what it's worth I stayed with 2010 Lamborghini Gallardo from a 40 mph roll to 110mph. I later talked with the owner of the car and he said it made 580 on a chassis dyno.

do you run a wastegate before the 475? and can I assume the 431 doesn't run on 24 volts? I had read that somewhere, and it made sense at the time because it comes from a truck.

I have a 451 and an s471 that I plan on putting on the truck this spring/summer and I've been back and forth whether to wasteqate it or not.

The 431VE I have has a 12 volt actuator. If your turbo came from a transit bus it will probably be 24 volt. The Fleece controller will work even with the round plug that comes on the industrial turbos. Fleece will tell you It won't but just omit the purple wire and hook up the others in the same locations as on a 351VE. I did not waste gate the s475 it makes 30 psi at full load with the total boost at 70 psi. I would not bother gating around the atmosphere charger, especially if you are going to use the standard 1.32 housing with the 96 mm turbine. Also, the variable housing on the 431VE is plenty big when it's full open, so no gate is required on the manifold either. That's why I went through the extra work to make a 431VE fit, because it allows the whole system to work perfectly with out any external gates. All tuning is accomplished through the VGT controller map.

Yeah i like ur setup, im going try a set of Vgt trip"'s out, got 431ve other day but r they 2 different exhaust housing.
Example 56-60-19
60-67-25ish
Thought i seen that on a older post!

Yes the 431 is a different housing from the 351. I have the wheel specs written down in the shop. I will get it them when I can. The housing is defiantly at 25 cm, it was cast into the housing.

This is very interesting, since I'd like to run an he551 on my truck with the fleece controller. Q: What does the purple wire do? I actually passed up a good turbo a while back because I thought I wouldn't be able to run it with the fleece.

I'm not 100% sure what the purple wire does. From what I can find in talking with a few OEM reps it may transmit position data outside of the CAN system. I never could get a solid answer or OEM wiring diagram. I will tell you that the fleece controller will absolutely work without the purple wire. I called fleece and they wanted me to ship them the turbo and controller so they could "prototype" a controller board for it. I was also told it would be 6 to 8 weeks before it was even looked at. So, being the type of person that needs to prove things to myself I hooked the 431VE actuator to a running 6.7 cummins in a ramp truck and it controlled it perfectly. The software for the fleece unit could use more maps to make it more tunable but it works well as is.

Thank you very much for the response. How many maps are there? I only see the one map on their site showing position vs. load and rpm.

Yes, the fleece controller only uses the load vs. Rpm map. It works but really needs to reference boost or exhaust back pressure to me able to deferentiate between spool up cells, cruising low load, and steady state high load cells. Right now all three conditions can end up in the same area of the map especially if you roll in to the throttle smoothly when accelerating.