setting up Dana 60 front axle

jedeka

I am changing gears in my Dana 60 front axle. I went to install the crush washer and set the rolling resistance with an inch-lb torque wrench. I noticed that the old pinion gear has a machined surface of 1 1/2" for the crush sleeve and outer bearing. The new pinion shaft only has 1" machined surface for both pieces. If I measure from the threads of the pinion shaft down to the shoulder that the crush washer sits against, there is 1/2" difference. I am afraid that I will not be able to collapse the crush washer that much. I tried to pull the bearing in and to start collapsing the crush washer with my 1/2" impact but all I did was stip out the threads in the old nut. Can someone help me? I have a picture, but cannot figure out how to attatch it. Thanks.

The ones I have messed with used shims for the pinion pre-load. I would ditch the crush sleeve.

^x2 Do away with the crush sleeve and use shims! Your new gears are made to use shims not the sleeve.

Thanks guys. I found the shims in my install kit. Threw the crush sleeve over my shoulder and set up with the shims. It worked great !!

Back