setting up new dana 60

brew

Im getting ready to build a new dana 60 front end. I've read about a few problems some guys in here have had. Im wondering has anyone tried doing away with the crush sleeve on the pinion and shiming it instead. When i was younger my family drag raced, the rear ends we had built, they would make a piece tubing and shims to replace the crush sleeve. it keeps the torq and shock from crushing the sleeve and make the pinion sloppy

I don't hear it being a problem often. But some brands like precision gear, I believe, have the extra meat made into them so you don't use the crush sleeve but just shims. so if you're buying new gears just make sure they have this.

Even some of the Dana, Yukon stuff don't have the crush sleeves.

All of the Dana 60 gears that I have seen have not had the crush sleeve. These were GM fronts also.

Did the install kit come with the crush sleeve? Take a look at the pinion and see if you can even use it. The Dana 60 instructions from Spicer do not show a crush sleeve.

Yeah the kit has crush sleeves,but no i dont have the old one out so i dont know for sure it uses them. I guess I should have looked before I posted this.

ok, the new gear set doesnt use crush sleeves, but im not real sure how to set the preload with a torq wrench. I know it takes a few tries to get it right

Last edited:
Yeah, it may take a few tries if the old gears use the crush sleeve. If the old gears do not use a crush sleeve start with the same shims then adjust from there. You basically want the pre-load to be set where it takes a certain amount of in-lbs. to start to turn the pinion. Make sure you spin it a little before you check it to make sure you have the bearings and shims and everything seated up otherwise it could loosen from when you checked it. Let me know if you need any other help.