Shaft play- how much is too much?

manual_tranny

Cummins & TDI Enthusiast
OK... I was just changing the oil and filter so I took the air intake hose off the turbo. I decided to check the turbo shaft, and I noticed that there was just a tiny amount of play.

I expect any turbodiesel to burn some oil, so I wasn't surprised when it had downed about a liter in 7500mi. But... once I saw the shaft play I started wondering.. is this old turbo letting oil by, too? (It's the stock Holsett)

So, is there any allowable amount of play in the shaft, or is the turbo ready to be replaced as soon as you detect anything amiss? Thanks for your advice guys!

-Mike

Mike, side to side you will be fine until the turbine starts rubbing the housing. If you have in and out play Id get it replaced right away.

Hows it running for you? Give me a call sometime.

Hey Chris! Thanks for the explanation... the truck has been running like a top! Thanks to you it hasn't leaked a drop of fuel and it's been running great.

Fortuneately my turbine shaft movement is only side to side and it's not enough for the blades to touch the housing yet. I will double-check to be sure. It sure is easy enough to get to!

Good to hear! I do have a nice replacement turbo on hand right now...

If I were a betting man, I'd say the side to side is out. I've got a new turbo picked out already. :)