Ship Date is 20090420 - MCRD San Diego

CumminsPOWER

"I'll go all in."
Very excited! After a year of diesel tech school, I decided I could not wait until after to join the Marine Corps. With my dad being a retired Marine of 24 years, 2 uncles, a cousin, and another cousing at San Diego right now, its been a long time coming! Wish I wouldn't have waited this long!

Sempi Fi

I shipped to MCRD Paris Island 31 years ago in June

Good luck... I know a few hats over there... want me to get you some extra training?:badidea: :hehe:

0311 ..infantry baby! Try and get automotive organizational mechanic...will give you some experience working on diesels. I graduated october 13, 1999 from MCRD San Diego. I think that MOS is 3521. Good luck.
ooh-rah

I want Infantry bad, Top was talking about some sort of infantry support MOS... I don't want to be support though.

My old man would like to see me go aviation, since he was a 46 mech and crew chief.

as we used to call it ...swinging with the wing...usually more relaxed atmosphere, good guys. Could also try and be an electronics technician. You need to be careful about what MOS you do. I wouldn't recommend going on open contract because they can stick you wherever they want you. You need to plan ahead. Think of things out in the real world that the Marine Corps can help you with. That's why I recommended you do the Motor T MOS. Not only that, make sure you have your recruiter get you the college fund in addition to the G.I. Bill. I'm sure things have changed since I got out, but you'll realize you could've got yourself a better deal once you get out of boot camp. Being a Marine is important...But, more importantly is planning for the future. Just trying to give you some insight as to how things work. I wish someone would've told me before I just signed up and shipped out. Call me if you want to. 513.313.9757.
JJ

1800, Combat Support. That can be one of like 3 MOS's... 0811: Artillery, 1831: AMTracks, or 1812: M1A1 Tank Crewman.

Crew chief for sure, take your dads advice you will see alot more that way and shower mor often:)

sinfulcoin said:
Crew chief for sure, take your dads advice you will see alot more that way and shower mor often:)

lol, yeah... I was watching a show about Marine tankers and the one guy said the longest he went with out a full shower was 36 days. Hmm, lets see... 4 Marines, cramped space, 130 degree temps, for 36 days... not a great combo!

Take a look at P3's on youtube. Throw in VP40 great deployment video on there. But all in all being aircrew equals a much better living situation. Just ask Jim Fulmer on here. Side note you will earn the lower ranks alot faster and you will get paid alot more than the general grunt sweating his azz off busting down doors. I have much respect for the guys that do just that kind of thing its just not for me and I try to try everyone I meet that has thoughts about the military, any branch, that life can be great in you just have to be careful what you pick. I wouldn't think to lightly on joining with an open contract. If you don't mind me asking what did you get on your ASVAB? You can PM it to me if you don't want it on here. Feel free to ask any question you might have as there is quite a few of us ex and current military guys on here. Good luck and be safe.

Well, my score was terrible... I got a 61... I know laughable, but math has always been something I've had to struggle with. When I took the ASVAB this time it was very spur of the moment, and I did not give myself any preperation time.

I'm disappointed in the score, but all I can do from here on out is prepare as much as possible for any and all tests.

Don't be to disappointed a 61 will get you pretty much whatever you want. If I remember right I think you only have to have a 65 for navy nuke school. I take it that since your ship date is 20april that you have already signed a DEP contract. Been a long time since and I was so excited I really don't remember everything I had to do my ship day at MEPs. Have fun in bootcamp and remember it is only the start. Put in what you want out and you will succeed. Try to have fun and don't drink to much. I lost alot of buddies to this as the military is really cracking down on it. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Yup, I already signed an open DEP contract, swore in as well. But when I go back to MEPS right before I ship out, I swear in again.

Yup, the military is just like anything else in life... its what you make of it. I really am excited. I think about going all the time... mostly I think about graduation and after... when I can call myself a United States Marine. :rockwoot:

I'm 24, so I'll be older then most at boot and most other junior Marines... I don't think it'll be too hard keep myself out of trouble.

good luck. i'm sure the marines could always use more "real" riflemen so infantry shouldn't be a problem. and a 61 on the asvab is not that crappy. i may be wrong but the min for most services is around the 30 something mark.

Back