Shock tower delete

I never found chit. Put it on the back burner till its a necessity. Would like to know if someone has found a "drop in" shock for this though.

I did. Just call scheids and get the number for the shock. I can't remember what it was off hand but I also thought I posted it on here in another thread

Question guys.. and I may regret asking after I take the time to think about this myself,, LOL I have lowered my truck substantially (for racing) I only have about an inch of travel downward now. I do plan on putting in some form of travel limiter to stop springs from falling out (under acceleration) My question is as follows, would I be just as well to keep using my stock shock? Seeing as I dont have much downward travel anyways. Also would a good peice of aluminum be strong enough to mount the shock too? (weight reduction)

THanks guys

Shift, stock 3/4 ton 2wd shock works. Just make sure you give yourself enuff travel when you make your mount.

I did. Just call scheids and get the number for the shock. I can't remember what it was off hand but I also thought I posted it on here in another thread

any pictures of your setup? did you use a plate instead of the tower?

Last edited:
Here is what I have on mine. I run a 2.5" leveling kit, so removing the height of the shock tower puts the top of a factory length shock within an inch of how it would be stock..

shock_mount.jpg

I never found chit. Put it on the back burner till its a necessity. Would like to know if someone has found a "drop in" shock for this though.

Try pming Mcforstenracing, he probably forgot to check for you.

Question guys.. and I may regret asking after I take the time to think about this myself,, LOL I have lowered my truck substantially (for racing) I only have about an inch of travel downward now. I do plan on putting in some form of travel limiter to stop springs from falling out (under acceleration) My question is as follows, would I be just as well to keep using my stock shock? Seeing as I dont have much downward travel anyways. Also would a good peice of aluminum be strong enough to mount the shock too? (weight reduction)

THanks guys
I dont know about the aluminum, maybe some 1/2" would work. Other than going to a nice coil over for compression/rebound adjustment I say keep the stocker.
Shift, stock 3/4 ton 2wd shock works. Just make sure you give yourself enuff travel when you make your mount.
I want a shock with an eyelet on both ends though, not a stud. Are the 2wd's eyelet style?
Try pming Mcforstenracing, he probably forgot to check for you.

I will, and I think he didLOL

I dont know about the aluminum, maybe some 1/2" would work. Other than going to a nice coil over for compression/rebound adjustment I say keep the stocker.

I want a shock with an eyelet on both ends though, not a stud. Are the 2wd's eyelet style?

I will, and I think he didLOL

2wd's still use a stud. Maybe he's talking about using a rear shock from a 2wd on the front of a 4wd?

No, 2wd front shock. The plate from the CAD drawing but then recess the shock from the plate about 6 inches with tubing and a washer. It's cheap.

It's worked out real good so far shifty. Just make sure the I.D. of your tubing is big enuff for the washer that comes with the shock. I phucked up and had to grind my washer like an idiot.

It's worked out real good so far shifty. Just make sure the I.D. of your tubing is big enuff for the washer that comes with the shock. I phucked up and had to grind my washer like an idiot.

So the plate gets bolted down and the tube is welded to the plate ( on top) with the shock riding inside the tube? Sounds like the factory shock tower

Or is the tube below the plate?

Tubing goes on bottom of the plate. Like its a REVERSE shock tower.

Tubing goes on bottom of the plate. Like its a REVERSE shock tower.

That makes much more sense. Damn, thats a short shock.

Why do you need the tubing?

Because you are not only deleting the shock tower with a plate and losing the height of the tower itself, but the 2wd shock is apparently too short to even reach the plate. Thus, you must add the tube and washer below the plate so the new shock stud has somewhere to attach. Clear as mud right?

That is correct.
That makes much more sense. Damn, thats a short shock.

Because you are not only deleting the shock tower with a plate and losing the height of the tower itself, but the 2wd shock is apparently too short to even reach the plate. Thus, you must add the tube and washer below the plate so the new shock stud has somewhere to attach. Clear as mud right?