Shop Heater Size / Type

depending on how much you change your oil, a waste oil heater is free fuel. basically an oil fired furnace that just happens to burn waste oil. save it up for the year, burn it when its cold. 1 275 gallon tote could be used as a work space with a top on it, and hold damn near enough oil for the season. You could select a few buddies if they are responsible enough to trust to add to your stock, through the wall fill from outside........

Kozy Wall mount heater is $230 for a 1,000 sq foot area with a 30,000 btu rating

Natural gas with a 110v line for the blower motor

Once again though.....wall mounted ventless.

Are they that bad?????

FEATURES:

Uses natural or LP gas. The Kozy-World "insta-light" ignition system provides immediate start-up in one easy step. Top-mounted controls insure ease of operation and the built-in thermostat (select models) provides total room comfort without constant adju stment. Design-certified, all Kozy-World heaters incorporate the latest safety features. The "safe watch" pilot assembly assures that the gas flow automatically shuts off in the event that the pilot is extinguished. The built-in oxygen depletion sensor extinguishes the flame should oxygen levels drop below A.N.S.I. standards, and the pressure regulator maintains a steady gas flow for a safe, even burn. Vent Free - Blue Flame Dual Fuel

I am really leaning towards a ceiling mounted Reznor or Dayton..... they work great in our garage ports at work

Unit Heaters | Reznor

I think they will work nice and not take up any valuable space

They are used all over craigslist

I guess I also need to mention that the shop is an addition to the house, built off of the main attached 2.5 car garage

The roof does not have a typical center v-pitch roof, and is more of a "lean to" single slant style

The one inner wall (that is the shared wall for the 2.5 car garage) is finished and already insulated

I would just need to finish off and insulate the outer wall for the shop and the roof

The wall height on the common wall (to the 2.5 car garage) is approximately 13'6" tall and the outer wall is approximately 8'6" tall........

The joists for the ceiling in the garage are approximately 9'6" tall

From my measurements, the shop area I want to heat is 910 sq feet...........advertised at 956 sq feet.........so I will just call it 1,000 sq ft

Both front and rear 8' garage doors are the double walled, insulated versions.

My bad on the late response, my heater is a Reznor V3 T Core 2. My only gripe is that I can't get it to heat when it's above 60ish. I need 65+ to paint. I'm sure that can be bipassed or something.

Good insulation does wonders. The garage runs a lot hotter than the house since it's tight.

My bad on the late response, my heater is a Reznor V3 T Core 2. My only gripe is that I can't get it to heat when it's above 60ish. I need 65+ to paint. I'm sure that can be bipassed or something.

Off......is your thermostat working ok?

The one Reznor FE-100 we have hanging in the 4 car garage port at work will heat the area well into the 80s

Last edited:
we had radiant heat where I worked before and it was really nice but it can definitely make hot spots my buddy has the bigger one from northern tool and it works really good it will cook ya out of a 2 car garage. it was also nice when we could turn just the fan on to purge out a lot of the diesel smoke lol. just be careful with all the solvents id say

Off......is your thermostat working ok?

The one Reznor FE-100 we have hanging in the 4 car garage port at work will heat the area well into the 80s

It will heat you out of the shop. Have seen 91*. Issue it it will not heat when it is over a certain temp already. It must have some temp. control switch that only allows it to heat if its below 60 or something. Anyways it heats well.

Defining your usage of the garage would be a big factor in deciding between radiant and forced air options.

Regular usage Vs. Occasional usage

remember when folks talk about lowest cost to operate, there is a big difference in efficiency when you are keeping an area 60+ degrees for an afternoon or for the entire season.

I live in NW Indiana, so temps during the winter months can drop to sub zero numbers with the wind chill and we have a decent snowfall

Obviously, I will only need heat from November to March and I will only need to heat the shop area on days I am working in the garage.........which may only be 3 days a week, a few hours at a time per day

Definitely will not be heated 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

I would like it comfortable in the shop and not have to worry about fuel running out of the unit, or it being too cold inside the shop to get some work done

Last edited:
Ok.....so if I go with rolls/bats of faced insulation, which is better and why:

Paper faced

or

Foil faced

I am in NW Indiana, and was thinking that R-13 should suffice

----------------------------------------------

3-1/2" T x 15" W x 32' L R-13 Foil-faced Roll: $18.99 per roll

3-1/2" T x 15" W x 32' L R-13 Foil-faced Roll at Menards

---------------------------------------------

3-1/2" T x 15" W x 32' L R-13 Kraft-faced Fiberglass Roll; $8.48 per roll

3-1/2" T x 15" W x 32' L R-13 Kraft-faced Fiberglass Roll at Menards

---------------------------------------------

Considerable price difference, both being a 32' long roll

If you plan to keep it a steady temp without high change out rate of equipment a radiant heater might be best. But does not sound like you have the ceiling height. I would go with a NG or Propane heater. Very clean heat. We just bough a 375k BTU Dayton salamander for our 40*60 shop with poor insulation. It will warm it to 65-70 in an hr and then run maybe 20 mins an hr after that with cold concrete and cold steel.

I am firm believer that you will waste probably just and much fuel bringing a 30 degree shop up to 55 or 60 degree 3 or more times a week than warming a shop to 60 and maintaining. If you run the BTUs per hr it almost doesn't make sense not to keep a shop heated. Plus you don't have condensation on tools, parts and vehicles which sucks.

If you have any means to insult it, it will only help tremendously.

I don't know if you read this thread but there is a lot of good info in here

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162461

Just moved in a month ago...my "shop" is the long 65' long garage on the left

IMG_20140104_161219_701_zpslvtzuvis.jpg

IMG_20140104_161151_306_zpser2pnzj4.jpg

Got my HF welding cart put together ......works great for $30

IMG_20140119_193915_178_zpswpnizcb0.jpg

IMG_20140119_202323_041_zpsnrjoythf.jpg

IMG_20140119_202347_356_zps5udvj0um.jpg

Found some great free stuff for the garage..... Georgia Pacific towel dispenser and many roll refills

2" thick solid slate tables in three sizes, some with steel bases and one with wood....insanely heavy as ****!!!!!!!!

One is large and is 4'x5.5'......the two others are 41"x21"

Also found some commercial grade steel shelving units for free......

IMG_20140208_085708_607_zpscdziealg.jpg

IMG_20140208_105145_748-1_zpsofttp1mp.jpg

IMG_20140208_144115_011_zpsebrf0luz.jpg

IMG_20140208_092537_440_zps5vrngrl3.jpg

Even though winter is almost over.......I need to insulate the exterior walls of the garage and then put up some plywood, in order to install some cabinets and shelving units\

My garage looks like a bomb went off

Which and why?

Natural gas......ceiling mounted Modine:

standing pilot

or

intermitent spark to pilot