Shut off solenoid issues.

bmarlatt

Mirrors Down
Trying to track down an issue with my 98 12v 5 spd.

Dad borrowed the truck and it quit running. Quick diagnostics showed no fuel pressure, put a lift pump on the truck and got it running again. The truck actually runs better than it has in a long time.

However imediately after getting the lift pump on the shut of solenoid burnt up, so we replaced it. Then we found the relay for the solenoid was also shot. So we replaced it too. Now whenever the solenoid is plugged in, the two small wires that run off the positive terminal down to some relays get hot and start to smoke. But if you unplug the solenoid, there are no issues and the truck runs fine with no overheating wires.

Any idea what might cause this? Did we knock something loose while doing the lift pump? Bad relay? I really don't know.

I really don't want to spend hours searching for a short somewhere if this is something that happens and there is a common fix I'd be glad to hear it before I get started on it. I'm half way contemplating putting a cable on the fuel shut off and forgetting about it, but I'm worred ignoring the problem may cause a fire later.

Thanks

Last edited:
You mean the 2 relays below the driver battery for the grid heater are smoking?

If I'm reading it right, it definitely sounds like a bad fusible link coming off the + terminal. Very common.

i am having issues with my shut off solenoid also. Im pretty sure the fusible links need replaced. I too have heard that is a common problem.