Simplicity is a great thing.

Crawler

Press the BIG RED button.
Simple build up VS Big buck builds

I have a ton of respect for the high dollar tube chassis rigs out their. But, that's not a field I can afford to play in.

I was able to help build the Dr. P rig last year and that was fun. But, it wasn't for me to call my own. So here is my budget built street legal bomber.

These pics are from after its maiden street cruise. Not just a run around the block. It went for a nice afternoon run. I still have to get my tags, so I used my 3/4ton plates to get me by for the day.

The undercarriage shot was taken on my trailer a few weeks ago, and is included so you can get an idea of the ground clearance.

Other than chassis height, the truck acts completely docile until you lean on it. Then you might as well:bang :bang :bang :bang

Because only a brain injured maniac would go full throttle on this truck on the street.

i'm not even going to go into details about what happens when the *nx* hits. :badidea:

Thanks goodness for a wrap a round seat and a 5 point harness.

I might have to change my seat cusion color to black instead of red. I might look a bit cleaner after I take passengers for rides. That or carry a case of depends for the passengers to slip on.

After all my rambling, I'll get to the pics.

Thanks, for the support guys.

I present "ABBY". The flagship of AbbyNormalRacing

~Wes~

102_0810.jpg

102_0815.jpg

102_0821.jpg

102_0836.jpg

102_0834.jpg

102_0776.jpg

Im kinda leary of the fuel cell setup in the back like that for a street rig, definatly wouldn't want to get rear ended. I know its a fuel cell but Ive seen some get ruptured, ain't pretty.

That's a risk I'm willing to take.

It's heavy aluminum (so no sparks) and has a 2x4 rectangular tube crossmember between it and the roll pan. As well as two of my cage bars are extended back towards that crossmember. The truck would have to get pretty crunched for the cell to be encroached upon.

Plus keep in mind that we're dealing with diesel not gas. So the risk of ignition is lessened.

Thanks for the advice though. I'm open to constuctive criticism to help me improve the truck in any way possible.

Keep in mind that the truck is still a work in progress. So, a lot of details such as interior, bed floor, bed cover, final wiring are still being worked on.

Thanks,
Wes

Im wasnt trying to critise you on your build, just something that came off the top of my head when I 1st looked at it. I was thinking more along the lines of your safety & possibly the dumb ass that would hit you.

I do like the idea of the simplicity & overall nice build.

Looks killer! Give us more details...engine setup, hp, goals, et's???

Noreaster said:
Im wasnt trying to critise you on your build, just something that came off the top of my head when I 1st looked at it. I was thinking more along the lines of your safety & possibly the dumb ass that would hit you.

I do like the idea of the simplicity & overall nice build.

I didn't take it in a bad way. I actually appreciate it. That's what i meant by the constructive criticism comment. Its actually a good thing and very appreciated. Don't take anything from the last post as a jab. Its tough to convey context in a post and things can be taken wrong.

~Wes~

Thanks for all the compliments guys.

I received a PM from a to remain un-named member of the board, that was raking me over the coals pretty bad. Basically telling me that anybody that has the backing (as well as claiming that I must be a trust fund baby) could build the same thing and bashing me for being proud of the truck.

Rather than respond in a PM here it is for all to see.

I built this truck from scratch starting with a $600 junk half ton.
I'm 23 years old and built this truck for my own enjoyment. I have paid for every single item on this truck, except one.

The injectors were a gift from Brady at Industrial Injection, and they built me a custom turbo at a discounted price.

James Northum performed the tranny labor for free. As he builds all my performance transmissions. (Parts weren't free though)

Everything else was paid in full.

I started SMDiesel as a senior in high school in late 2000 to pay for my Diesel habbit. This truck was built using spare parts and anything I could scrape together.

I grew up as a farm boy in a small town. My family helped me get started by loaning me $2,500 in early 01 and the rest I have managed on my own.

This truck was built by blood, sweat, and tears of myself, Brandon, Jason (Welding), and Jeremy (resident curser for an evening).

It was built at a minimum of costs and including the Ray-Mac cylinder head, II turbo/P7100/Dragon Flows, DTT/JTT Billet tranny, back half, CM cage, 4-link, fuel cell, coilovers front/rear, driveshaft, Corbeau seats, harnesses, Painless Wiring box, full autometer gauge set, paint, front end, replacement bed/doors/hood, etc..........................................................

With all of that stuff the truck still cost less than the cheapst new diesel truck has sold for in the last 15 years. (Labor not included of course)

It just takes a lot of scrounging for parts, pulling the right resources, blood, sweat, tears, and mostly determination.

But in the end; it is all worth it. Even more so when someone sends me a message telling me how "bad" it is, "they could do the same thing if they were rich too". So to him :)-

I'll crawl down from my soapbox now.

Thanks for listening.

~Wes~

Wes,

I've been on the "performance boards" since about 2000.

There is a reason you'll notice many racers don't post very much. Everyone gets dished out a dose of "You Suck", and many just don't put with it.

Don't let it get to you. You are here to talk with, learn with, and teach your fellow racers, not the haters.

If Mother Theresa had a 4 second diesel that was a daily driver, had Dodge, Ford, and GM parts, weighed 9,000lb, she built by hand, hotshots 26,000lb 200,000mi a year, and sled pulls with it too...

"BUT THAT's ONLY BECAUSE YOU'RE CATHOLIC!!!!" :mad:

I happen to think the truck is quite cool and I too would like to do one but it would take selling the 12V to do it. Then I would have to have a driver/hauler :)

We all know what a single will do with a good shot of N2O on top of it, add a good ported head and there you go!

I think I have proved James's tranny over the last 5 years that's for sure!

Can't wait to see it run Wes' If you ever wanted to drive up to OKC for a race or to run you always have a place to stay........with a driveway!

Jim

I appreciate the kind words Pat. I don't let it get to me. Its one of those things that I just wwanted to clear the air of.

THe other point to the post was this:
ANYBODY that has the drive and desire can build one of these. As much as I love working on field leading race cars(top diesel). Having one that can legitimately drive down the street is just so much more fun in the end.

When I started wrenching on my previous diesel truck in 2000; I knew almost nothing about the actual mechanics of the vehicle. Over the years, I've been able to develop and hone my skills.

This truck is an exercise for my abilities. I would love for this truck to inspire someone else to go out and build a serious race/street truck. There are others out there and mine is far from the first. But, i would like for someone to look at it and that moment get the idea stirring-"if this kid can build one then surely I can too". To me, that would be the greatest compliment. To see more people realize that this is within their grasp.

Preston,
PM me the drop off address and I'll PM you my mailing address to send the check to. I'm ready to build another one. Its just too much fun.

Gene,
I'm gonna come looking for you at Houston this year. "Battle of the back half"

ls1,
95 Dodge 1500 beater truck
stock 95 short block 231,000 miles
Ray-Mac Head
II Turbo (Custom for SMD)
DTT/JTT Tranny (Full Manual VB)
II P7100 13mm
II Dragon Flows
SMD Nitrous setup
No intercooler
Coil-over conversion front suspension
Back Half, 4 Link, Coil-over rear suspension

I think that covers it.

Dont know any numbers yet. I'm out of town a lot right now and haven't had any time to wrench on it and get it track ready.

Thanks for the compliments guys.

~Wes~

Jim Fulmer said:
I happen to think the truck is quite cool and I too would like to do one but it would take selling the 12V to do it. Then I would have to have a driver/hauler :)

We all know what a single will do with a good shot of N2O on top of it, add a good ported head and there you go!

I think I have proved James's tranny over the last 5 years that's for sure!

Can't wait to see it run Wes' If you ever wanted to drive up to OKC for a race or to run you always have a place to stay........with a driveway!

Jim

Thanks for the offer Jim. I'll probably take you up on it sometime.

About that driveway-doesn't it look more like a runway now? :rockwoot:

Crawler said:
Thanks for all the compliments guys.

I received a PM from a to remain un-named member of the board, that was raking me over the coals pretty bad. Basically telling me that anybody that has the backing (as well as claiming that I must be a trust fund baby) could build the same thing and bashing me for being proud of the truck.

Rather than respond in a PM here it is for all to see.

I built this truck from scratch starting with a $600 junk half ton.
I'm 23 years old and built this truck for my own enjoyment. I have paid for every single item on this truck, except one.

The injectors were a gift from Brady at Industrial Injection, and they built me a custom turbo at a discounted price.

James Northum performed the tranny labor for free. As he builds all my performance transmissions. (Parts weren't free though)

Everything else was paid in full.

I started SMDiesel as a senior in high school in late 2000 to pay for my Diesel habbit. This truck was built using spare parts and anything I could scrape together.

I grew up as a farm boy in a small town. My family helped me get started by loaning me $2,500 in early 01 and the rest I have managed on my own.

This truck was built by blood, sweat, and tears of myself, Brandon, Jason (Welding), and Jeremy (resident curser for an evening).

It was built at a minimum of costs and including the Ray-Mac cylinder head, II turbo/P7100/Dragon Flows, DTT/JTT Billet tranny, back half, CM cage, 4-link, fuel cell, coilovers front/rear, driveshaft, Corbeau seats, harnesses, Painless Wiring box, full autometer gauge set, paint, front end, replacement bed/doors/hood, etc..........................................................

With all of that stuff the truck still cost less than the cheapst new diesel truck has sold for in the last 15 years. (Labor not included of course)

It just takes a lot of scrounging for parts, pulling the right resources, blood, sweat, tears, and mostly determination.

But in the end; it is all worth it. Even more so when someone sends me a message telling me how "bad" it is, "they could do the same thing if they were rich too". So to him :)-

I'll crawl down from my soapbox now.

Thanks for listening.

~Wes~

great post wes

Wes, I dunno who in their right mind would want to criticize your efforts? But my feelings are: THUMBS WAY UP!!! GREAT JOB!:rockwoot: :rockwoot: :rockwoot:

:clap:

Dude, I love the truck but get rid of that chrome ass grill and black out the headlights. Then throw on some red pin striping it's 100% BA old school.

Crawler said:
Thanks for the offer Jim. I'll probably take you up on it sometime.

About that driveway-doesn't it look more like a runway now? :rockwoot:

Yea, I'll be home next week, hopefully for good! Added some Alaska pics to the Crater Lake pic thread.

Boy do I have my work cutout for me when I get there.

Jim