Single rear wheel?

Why don't you just move up into the next class rather than staying in the same class. Or are the dmax's just not wanting to run an open driveline???

Making a rule to keep guys from breaking stuff is about a dumb as a law thats says I have to wear a seat belt.

I run a dually with 3/4 ton wheels on the front. I dont think Im gaining anything from it, I just cant stand the look of front dually wheels.

If they did make this rule it would have to be a limit on tread width not a rule thats says no dual wheels.

I guess that if there was a no dual wheel rule I could just get tires that are about 26in wide, and dont think I would be the only one to do this.

The only pullers that try to limit driveline in trucks are the diesels. If you make rules you limit power or enforce safety, not limit how big or durable the parts can be. Unlimited driveline is cheaper than "limited to stock" with billet everything and breaking it.
Diesel truck pulling needs to look ahead to what those in higher levels "NTPA, Outlaw, and PPL" have done when a class needs to evolve. The answer is not keep making smaller classes, but allow the current classes to grow up.

Josh

We wanna try to keep a street class but things are starting to get away from that in the littler classes all ready...

and a tire rule:homo:

True I drive my truck 140 miles every day... I cant do that with an open drivline.

Ric - don't go with a tread width rule, just use the manufacturer's size.

There are common 35" x 12.50s that are 11.5 wide in some rim sizes and people would be buying new tires for no good reason.

Even some of the 33" STS will go 11" or somewhere thereabouts.

Going by the sidewall dimension should be good enough. I'm not a big fan of tire rules, but I don't know anyone in the 2.6 world running anything over 35x12.50 singles.

I don't know what to do for duallies. Find out what people are running and see if there is a simple common denominator that can be used like the above.

yes you do:poke:

I set up the chassis on a couple good running 2.6 trucks and they both run 36 x 1450 r16 sts's they haven't had alot of problems breaking, but they do hook very smooth and don't jump around like alot of trucks. milby's truck made 20+ hooks last year on stock axles in the rear and didn't break.

Also something the diesel pulling world should consider is lowering the hitch height to 24" you would be surprised @ how much that will save parts. we are probably gonna try this in our pro street gas class next year since the pullers are complaining about so much breakage in the class

Lowering the hitch height would definately help save parts, but if the rule is 26" then it will also hurt your distance IMO.

After thinking about it, there is a lot of truth in the above.

I mean, this is kinda like ObamaCare for trucks. Why sanction and create rules for something that is totally under the driver's control?
Exactly, don't want to break or can't afford it then don't do it.
We have turbo limits in the name of (but not necessarily accomplishing) leveling the playing field. But if you wanna bust your stuff up with too much grip, then why should the rest of the field care?

Unless it's becoming a safety issue.....in which case limits MAY be justified.

BTW did I hear correctly that some super wackadoo aluminum Dmax driveshafts died at SDX?

Nope, Diffs broke which in turn damaged our shafts. Clint did wrap a stock aluminum shaft up the first night. Then he rotated the rear pumpkin and that tore up our shaft. Same thing with Tony's shaft, the yoke broke and in turn broke the end of the shaft.

I would personally be more worried about stepping up your game then trying to turn others down. The tire rule idea is stupid. There are to many rules as it is.

Nope, Diffs broke which in turn damaged our shafts. Clint did wrap a stock aluminum shaft up the first night. Then he rotated the rear pumpkin and that tore up our shaft. Same thing with Tony's shaft, the yoke broke and in turn broke the end of the shaft.

I would personally be more worried about stepping up your game then trying to turn others down. The tire rule idea is stupid. There are to many rules as it is.

How do you know the yoke broke first?

OK, roger that. I'm going to work on my billet rear axle :D

How do you know the yoke broke first?

If the shaft would have failed first it wouldn't have been able to rip the yoke apart. Billet rear yokes in the 1480 size would be the ticket, think Tony B is working on this...

Lowering the hitch height would definately help save parts, but if the rule is 26" then it will also hurt your distance IMO.

yes this is true and that is why the pullers need to discuss it w/their local and national pulling organizations and try to get them to lower it across the board. it will help save parts, & money.

Doesn't he know WS trucks can break stock stuff? :hehe:

We have run duals from the start and have twisted and broke a few sets of moser axles and 1 factory carrier since we started pullin this setup 3 years ago.

We have run duals from the start and have twisted and broke a few sets of moser axles and 1 factory carrier since we started pullin this setup 3 years ago.

Like you know anything about pulling...

I think one of the changes is you guys need to give the rest of us a 50 ft handicap.

I agree with what one person said about the track being the cause of alot of breakage... more than once I have been to a pull where there is a huge dip or hump in the track and that is where everybody has problems either breaking or just plain loosing traction because the chassis unloaded from the bump. there was even one pull where we asked to move the sled over to help us out of the hole because the starting line was so beat up by the previous class and we were told to piss off and deal with it. I will never go back there again.

They wouldnt move the sled for you. Isnt that in the rules, The driver may spot the sled anywhere on the starting line. Alot of us have the seld placed where we want to start.