Single S400 air filter???

PRattenbury

Neophyte
So what are the people that installed th ED S400 doing for an air filter/intake? I have an AFE Pro Guard 7 72-90040filter which I kinda like. It's like a BHAF from long ago, with a 6" ID inlet. The turbo inlet is 5" diameter. Just trying to get ideas from people that have been there, done that already. Thanks for any help.

I'm planning on reusing my Amsoil 4510... I hope it flows well enough that it doesn't get sucked in.

I used an AFE pro gaurd seven filter with a 6" inlet on my k31 charger it has a 5" inlet as do the s400.

I made my own intake using a 5" 45 degree elbow from the local big truck parts store,it had to be shorten a little on both sides to get the filter to fit.Then used this bushing- http://intakehoses.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=60R50&Category_Code=RIS

I could post a pic if it would help.

Hmm, I was considering making one. I think a few 5" elbows would do the trick, and a bushing.

Check my s468 thread for my intake setup. Chris made the 5" to 6" pipe, I made and welded a support bracket to the front of the alternator at his suggestion. I use an AFE 6" filter from my AFE stage 2 setup I used to have.

I ABSOLUTELY WOULD NOT TRY TO USE A 4510 AMSOIL FILTER WITH THESE CHARGERS. It choked my t66 out and it didn't move near the same air as this 468.

I used the one of the stock rubber pieces out of the 3rd gen factory intakes on the nose of the turbo and and a rubber 90 and a 4" inlet K&N to run on the street. I never came up with anything that would work with the big afe I tried everything there was not enough room on a 3rd gen setup

Yeah, gotta do something creative. I had the engine running today, but I can't really drive it with no air filter. It's no rush, really, though. I still have several other things to do on the truck yet. But it was encouraging to have it running again. :rockwoot:

Used an AFE Stg 2 setup (3rd gen). Worked out pretty well and only had to make a few tweaks to get everything to fit.

Filter2.jpg

Used an AFE Stg 2 setup (3rd gen). Worked out pretty well and only had to make a few tweaks to get everything to fit.

Filter2.jpg

is that an s400 or an A5K on a 3rd gen manifold? I didnt think there was enough room by the shock tower or the block to clear the S400? when I ran the A5K before it was fairly close to the block not much room

its a 400 and you are right there is very little clearance. I had to clock it up higher than I wanted to. Now that its running am planning on pulling the front cover and send it back to ED to have the spine machined off. Will have more than enough clearance then.

Check my s468 thread for my intake setup. Chris made the 5" to 6" pipe, I made and welded a support bracket to the front of the alternator at his suggestion. I use an AFE 6" filter from my AFE stage 2 setup I used to have.

I ABSOLUTELY WOULD NOT TRY TO USE A 4510 AMSOIL FILTER WITH THESE CHARGERS. It choked my t66 out and it didn't move near the same air as this 468.

I agree, :badidea:I ran one and pulled it inside-out! I now only use big AFE cone filters.