Single vs dual valvesprings

AHall

Hobbyist
Getting ready to put some money in a top end. Planning on a dp3 cam cr lifters ??? Pushrods and was wondering if I should go with single or dual valvesprings. Specifically Hamilton 150 singles or diesel pro 140 duals. Whichever I get im sure I'll get the keeper/retainer package that comes with them. Any experience or advice? 12v race application

I would buy the springs from Fletcher since you have his cam. His springs are most likely designed around his cams and will work best together.

There are many good combinations of springs out there but we do not have any 150's Anybody sellling 150's is most likely selling reboxed 60lbers with our name on it. Our springs are in the 165-170lbs on the seat. When you look at boost pressure and the surface area of the intake valve, there really needs to be more than 140lbs of pressure on the seat to keep the valve seated against boost/drive pressure to eliminate reversion especially if you have larger valves.

Zach

Will single springs have varying seat pressures after use and will not stay consistant for long term?

Some people merely trash someone elses product, rather than show how theirs is better with data. If they told the truth, they would have to say that Hamilton springs are made in the USA, out of the best spring material possible, they are shot peened to relieve stresses which keeps tolerances and presssure consistent even after many miles and that our beehive shape cancels out harmonics. When money is at stake some people tell fibs believe it or not. Mudslinging is always cheaper than real advertising.

Last week I had a bought back a set of our 110# springs after almost 50,000 miles. The ones I checked were within 2lbs of a new onw out of the box. I think that is pretty tight after 50k.

Zach

Last edited:
Kinda a little off topic but who all makes a dual spring set up? I know MaxSpool does but thats really the only one i know of for sure..who else?

Kinda a little off topic but who all makes a dual spring set up? I know MaxSpool does but thats really the only one i know of for sure..who else?

Maxspool are just copies of Curtis halvorsons dual springs--a real innovator in the diesel world! Thats what i use in my pro truck currently.

never an issue with my Hamilton springs...... plenty of miles and 1/4 passes

Both will do what there intended to do, only advantage a duel set up has is you can get more spring PSI,Great for a roller engine, because you have two springs, and it's more a saftey thing for guys turning 5000 or more rpm. if a spring breaks with a single your motor is toast, with a double you have added insurance.

i use zacks springs on all my cummins builds

and curtis's on my d-max builds

Last week I had a bought back a set of our 110# springs after almost 50,000 miles. The ones I checked were within 2lbs of a new onw out of the box. I think that is pretty tight after 50k.

Zach

I've had your 110's for 3 years, near 60,000 miles. not one spring issue. :)

Some people merely trash someone elses product, rather than show how theirs is better with data. If they told the truth, they would have to say that Hamilton springs are made in the USA, out of the best spring material possible, they are shot peened to relieve stresses which keeps tolerances and presssure consistent even after many miles and that our beehive shape cancels out harmonics. When money is at stake some people tell fibs believe it or not. Mudslinging is always cheaper than real advertising.

Zach

Data on the red text please, since you said that's how it should go...

Maxspool are just copies of Curtis halvorsons dual springs--a real innovator in the diesel world! Thats what i use in my pro truck currently.

Can you even purchase anything from the real innovator anymore? Last i seen they were cleaning out.

Data on the red text please, since you said that's how it should go...

We are prepping an engine for spintron with both 12v and 24v heads. At that point I will have actual video of exactly how our springs compare. Single beehive springs have a much ability to dampen harmonics. This is do to the fact that the shape changes at the top when it necks down. This change in shape redirects the upward force created by harmonics in the spring in a different directions because of the change in shape where in a straight spring the force can be applied in a straight linear direction. Another thing to think about is that different parts of the spring have a different natural frequency, not as much difference in parts of a straight spring. The change in shape has another often overlooked function. As the spring progressively has a smaller o.d. towards the top, mass is reduced progressively in the part of the spring that travels the farthest. This has a major affect in the reduction of mass in the spring and in the retainer. Less mass and less kinetic energy. This makes less mass to return. At higher rpm, this is a big plus. Our spring and retainer is over 50 grams lighter than the 60lber and stock retainers on the top half and over 35grams than Ti retainers with 60 lbers.

Dual springs by design have a straight outer and inner spring in most applications. This shape does nothing to address harmonics. The springs at least have differing natural frequencies but that does not have the shape change to reduce harmonics as well. The two springs also have much higher mass in the top half of the spring.

found this on a quick search goes into some of the benefits of the beehive design.
http://www.hughesengines.com/TechArticles/1beehivespringsretainers.php

Many different opinions, but with all the benefits of beehives, you can see why we went with them.

Zach

Will you have any videos of the testing done on the Spintron?

Tobin