Single vs dual valvesprings

Zack i really hope you do testing above 5000 rpm, as with anything more folks will be pushing rpm in the future.

I hope to have video, and yes we will.push them past 5k after we run all of the tests we need. I have seen the tests go past 11,000 rpm and I think it will turn 18,000, so we have plenty of headroom for the tests.

By the way sorry for all of the typos in the last post

A lot of people do but they have to machine the spring pockets in the head and and then there is the issue with correct retainers and locks. Most people that run the sbc stuff run an 11/32" valve stem with sbc retainers and locks. By the time you figure in the retianers, locks, valves, springs, stem seals and machining of the spring pockets, a drop in spring that was designed for that application starts to look a lot better and much cheaper.

A lot of people say that a dual spring is better because if one breaks, the other will catch it but to date we have not had a single spring break. I think this is due in part to the quality wire, processing and design using computer software to identify high stress points in certain designs.

SBC valve train has been done but when it comes down to cost, unless you have a machine shop at your disposal, it is cheaper and far easier to drop in a spring package made for the cummins.

Zach

There's 10* lock available that is fairly cheap and fit the stock valve stem, matched up with a 10* retainer and the BBC spring the cost isn't that bad really, if you go with a different valve stem then cost does go up alot. If you know where to look or who to talk to the locks,retainer/spring & machining would suprise alot of people and wouldn't hit the pocket book like most think, but it is a added hassle to have your head pocketed.

I think a single spring for a DD/hot street truck isn't a bad idea and , I do like a dual for competition purposes, though many competition trucks use a single spring and do well.

Last edited: