sled pulling mod questions

jr22

oilfield equipped
after selling my 2001 ram that i used for pulling 2 seasons i taook a year off. I bought a old 95 ram 2500 thats going to to be my next project and sled pullers the truck will see street duty also besides adding a sbc and larger input to the factory nv4500 what else should i look for ?? the truck came with a 241dld case i want to swap to either a 271 or a 241dhd which of these is the more reasonable choice and whats involved in swapping over to either one?? the motors going to come out due to mileage and be re-ringed and bearings i am going to add head studs which one can clear with out valve cover issues and do i go 12 or 14 mm, also fire ring the head or is there a better way also aftermarkert pistons and cam are they worth it ?? on the pump i know i need differant dv and a fuel plate any options on this ?? I would like to dyno around 500 hp and 1??? plus torque but still be able to take it to work . I am also at 6600 ft in elevation so i have to take this into account also. now i can start to move on to paint and body work along with axles and interior thanks, jr

If you use the 271 you will loose your speedo unless you get some electronics to address it.

in my opinion i would pull the body off the frame and cut off all the crap it dosent need and build your mounts for your traction bars and bump stops and stuff like that, plus clean and paint the frame, the easier the truck is to work on will save you hours later......plus some weight savings.....i would reccomend stepping up to a 2.6 charger or whatever your sanctioning body uses, tubular manifold, 12mm studs will be cheaper but 14mm will be stronger.....you have to have all the stud holes machined with for the 14's......

if i swap to a 271 whats all involved ?? I am going to swap turbos just not sure which one and yes the body will come off to make things easier since i already need a box and rf fender anyway thanks, jr

Depends on what you get with the 271. In the 98 and up it is easier, just some driveshaft work, you have a different style shifter. The 98+ shifter mounts to the body, 97 and older shifter mounts to the tranny. It can be done, just if you can find a good 241DHD that would be much similar.

jr22 said:
if i swap to a 271 whats all involved ?? I am going to swap turbos just not sure which one and yes the body will come off to make things easier since i already need a box and rf fender anyway thanks, jr

driveshaft loops and u-joint shields, pretty much everyone is requiring them, i would pull the front bumper off and modify it so you can install and remove your weight bracket easily.....