Smaller wheel in a larger compressor housing

90dodge

Always Broke
I may get flamed for this and I figure I know a "general" answer to the question already, but I'd like to know what everyone else thinks.

I've got an s400 I want to get on my truck for Dyno for dex, but the setup now I have problems with. It's got a 64mm wheel with the stock compressor housing with a slip fitting. When it was on before I had a terrible time keeping the boot from blowing off.

Recently i bought a v band housing for a 75mm wheel to go on it, but never got around to machining the back to fit a larger wheel.

So how bad would it get if I threw the larger housing on with the smaller wheel? I've got a 2.6 bore fitting as well. I don't have time to get either machined before the Dyno.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's what I figured. Or atleast would be a waste of air space.

When it was on before I had a terrible time keeping the boot from blowing off.

Tried hairspray on it? Clean it, and the inside of the boot with alcohol until it is spotless. Then spray both with hair spray and install. Let it dry before putting big boost to it. Should do the trick, or get you by.

I've tried most all of that. It's a 90 degree boot (all I could get put together at the time) so it's got to make life hard on everyone.

get a cast 90 and 2 straight boots.
Or weld on the cast 90 prior to..
And , or make a limiting strap from turbo to pipe.

And last option is, why in the flipping world would you put a 90 degree boot on the outlet of a turbocharger?!!?!?!?

That's all I had at the time, and I can't get that done before d4d, I've got a wedding remember?? Lol

nope. no idea what that's about..

The strap is about all u will be able to get.. ..

I'll just see about putting it back on and see how long it will hold. I'm to the point where I'm losing my sense of giving a crap anyway. Lol

Old thread, but fits what I'm wondering. I have convinced myself that something just isn't "right" with the turbo on my truck. It's a bastardized s300, that according to the tag, and the guy I spoke with at CDS, is originally from a Mack application that had a big exhaust housing with T6, and all titanium internals, with a 67mm inducer. As it sits it's a 64mm inducer, and a .80 exhaust housing T3 foot. I believe it still has the original compressor cover, and my thought is that if it's intended for a 67mm wheel, and it now has the 64mm wheel, is that why it just doesn't seem to spool very fast, over 2k rpms before it feel like it's coming alive. And cleans up smoke until about 2700 rpms, then smokes like SS pulling truck! It's a SO VP, smarty tuner, injectors are supposed to be 150hp shied, told that should be 6x.012. Manual transmission, 3.55:1 gears, all in all its a hot smokey pig. Been thinking I just need to go smaller, but wondering if a cover for the 64mm wheel would make it livable and be less expensive?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

What's your other charger specs j-pipes?
A quick measurement could tell you if the housing is too big

I'd have to pull the cover to measure the rest of the wheel, but I don't know the full measurements of the supposed original wheel either.

You should be able to see if it has a housing with too big of an inducer. Most chargers have around .010" radial clearance on the inducer. If its a 64mm wheel and a 67 housing, you'd be closer to .070".

1fdf4aa0c79fbb1c4b5dda0a50ec0fa3.jpg
9310ca36549c771787b13c87386215aa.jpg

I measured it at 64mm on the inducer, and 91mm to the tip of the exducer. Sound right?

Mine from a Mack is 64 and 71mm hot side. S300 frame, T6. I swapped to a T3 I assume is from a deere.
It doesn't work well in comparison to the 64X71 Aurora 4000, nearly 10 psi less boost. In fairness, the TH is cracked to hell.

Something smart goes here

Not sure what the hot side measures, but your basically saying the mack based turbos just don't work the best on these trucks then?

Not as well as a purpose assembled turbo.

Mine is a mack chra, caterpillar compressor cover, and whatever turbine housing I traded in to. I have $0 invested in it. Just time.

It's possible a trim doesn't match a housing? I haven't really looked into it too deeply.

Something smart goes here

Yeah I don't know enough about turbos to be sure, mostly just what I've learned reading on here. I just thought that I should have enough fuel to run a 64mm decently, but although it is making power, it just doesn't seem right.

The titanium wheel and the turbine flavor is what is killing the spool. Ever held a titanium wheel and aluminum wheel side by side? Insanely heavy.

The titanium wheel and the turbine flavor is what is killing the spool. Ever held a titanium wheel and aluminum wheel side by side? Insanely heavy.
I know it'd be heavier, but the titanium was supposed to be 67mm. Now either I was told wrong, or it had been swapped out. I can try to get you a picture of the tag on the center cartridge after work, if you'd like to verify? Could you pm me the cost of a fresh he351cw though? That's one of the options I've considered to replace this.