Smarty + PMT?????

roachie

Taco Master
Selling the truck in my sig and moving up to a common rail :bow: . I found a 05 w/ G56 and was thinking of using a smarty until the warrenty is up the adding a bully dog PMT with the crazy larry tune. Im wondering if this is a viable stack to get me to 500hp. Or should I skip the smarty, wait and get a larger CP3 to go with larry? All of the supporting modds will be with this stuff, Im just unfamiliar with the common rail mods so I though I would ask the group before my paychecks start disappearing :D . Well, while I have some attention, will 35x13.50 r18s clear without a leveling kit?

Sorry for for all the questions, thanks for any answers.

whoa. lets slow down.

You want a Smarty til the warranty is gone...ok. Then later you want Crazy Larry with the PMT? ok. Crazy Larry and the Smarty ARE NOT stackable. BOTH are programmers.

500hp? Get a 62/14 turbo, Smarty OR Crazy Larry, clutch, fuel system, and intake will put you at 500hp. This is a reliable, fun to drive set up.

Larger cp3? you can do ~550hp-575hp with a stock cp3.

Is 500hp all you want? or do you want more power later?

Well to be honest I want 1200hp but I can live with 500 or 550. Turbo will most likely be a silver 62, my brain didnt follow through with both of those being programers :banghead: , so im leaning toward the pmt because of its functions. Does it have a rail pressure sensor? I wasnt sure what the limit was on a stock cp3 since I was considering some small injetors to bump to 600ish.
So lets try this:
Fass 200 w/ big line
BD 6" exhaust (I just like it big)
probably a K&N system since I can get a deal on them
BD PMT w/ crazzy lary
clutch
silver 62
= 500hp correct?
or maybe a juice A2 = smarty Thanks

roachie said:
Well to be honest I want 1200hp but I can live with 500 or 550. Turbo will most likely be a silver 62, my brain didnt follow through with both of those being programers :banghead: , so im leaning toward the pmt because of its functions. Does it have a rail pressure sensor? I wasnt sure what the limit was on a stock cp3 since I was considering some small injetors to bump to 600ish.
So lets try this:
Fass 200 w/ big line
BD 6" exhaust (I just like it big)
probably a K&N system since I can get a deal on them
BD PMT w/ crazzy lary
clutch
silver 62
= 500hp correct?
or maybe a juice A2 = smarty Thanks

Not a K&N fan. didnt filter too well for me.

Intake (AFE stage 2 is best)
Clutch...your choice there
Silver 62
FASS 150 will work, no need for 200 at your level. Glacier is a better alternative IMO and its SILENT
Crazy Larry...PMT or standard gauges....

that will net 500-525hp.

I don't know if the PMT reads rail pressure....but with just Crazy Larry you'll be in good shape. If you add injectors, be ready to upgrade the cp3. 50hp injectors will probably work with stock cp3 but its close. Don't abuse the stock cp3 tooo much. I did and I grenaded a cp3 and that took out my injectors too. :badidea:

if you are after 600ish for hp, cp3 upgrade and injectors should be on your list. be sure you don't get addicted....I did with my 05 cummins and it got torn up after that....and you see what I drive now.

Thanks, I got a deal on the fass too just have to pick a size. May look into some other filters since Ive heard other things about K&N too.

No offense but' "be sure you don't get addicted....I did with my 05 cummins and it got torn up after that" DID YOU READ MY SIG??? The new truck is going for realiability and some power.

Ive heard about Crazzy Larry cracking injector nozzles due to an exessive amount of rail pressure, is there any truth to this?

I heard that the Crazy Larry tune only does that to the nozzles in higher altitudes... Like Colorado

Go with the Smarty and some analog gauges. The Smarty will get you more power than the Crazy Larry and has better every day settings.

Only problem with the Smarty is the lack of features, and it is a pita to change performance settings compared to the PMT on the fly settings. Performance is close enough that the features of the PMT made the decision for me. If Smarty comes out with something spectacular I can always try and get one and just use the PMT for the gauges.

DPDIESEL said:
Go with the Smarty.....more power than the Crazy Larry...

I could argue that but I won't.

Lets not forget about PPE too....

Bullydog, Smarty or PPE and a good set of gauges is a good start :ft:

Can't comment about Bullydog or PPE, but my buddy's truck ('07 CR) ran 522 with a Fass, Smarty beta, and BD twins. I can't say for sure, though is possible that the twins rob a bit of power at this level.

The same setup with a modded Cp3 and 90Hp DDP tips made 644hp.

My '07 Cr escapes the shop tomorrow with the CR moded as follows......Smarty beta, BD twins, 4" MBRP (kitty be gone), MP8, 150Hp F-1 sticks, F-1 springs, BD intake, Snow water/meth, CP3 mod, Fass pump....I am hoping to crack 700Hp but I could be sniffing too much glue again!

Anyone have a HP estimate?

afe is personally to me and alot of others i know is the best intake out there.. k&n's design isnt good.. i mean the k&n is a good brand... afe is alot better.. alot better... just my .02

Smokin07 said:
Can't comment about Bullydog or PPE, but my buddy's truck ('07 CR) ran 522 with a Fass, Smarty beta, and BD twins. I can't say for sure, though is possible that the twins rob a bit of power at this level.

The same setup with a modded Cp3 and 90Hp DDP tips made 644hp.

My '07 Cr escapes the shop tomorrow with the CR moded as follows......Smarty beta, BD twins, 4" MBRP (kitty be gone), MP8, 150Hp F-1 sticks, F-1 springs, BD intake, Snow water/meth, CP3 mod, Fass pump....I am hoping to crack 700Hp but I could be sniffing too much glue again!

Anyone have a HP estimate?

pretty close to 700... unless i got a hold of your glue to :bang ...

For the one who started this thread......See my Signature.......Sounds like your headed toward my exact setup if you chosse Bully Dog....530/1050

My next will be 50-90HP nozzles and maybe the cp3 upgrade if needed....

I've had no trouble at all from my BD with CL...........Good luck!!

Sabbath5.9 said:
pretty close to 700... unless i got a hold of your glue to :bang ...

Well I never got to dyno it but we accomplished one rolling 4wd burnout, one pass down the street, and one attempted boosted launch before I tore the output shaft off of the tranny.....

I am used to (and am bored with) 520 Hp, however this thing is an entirely new scary monster. It throws my 8000 pound truck around like its a toy.
My Diesel guy (24VCHEVY) figures it is good for a solid 750 and maybe even 800hp. I'm not sure what to think but I can tell you the raw power is astonishing and that the Smarty, flux 2.5's, and MP8 work well together...

We will find out just how well soon enough!

check out the tst powermax CR, it's a chip, so you could stack it, and it's got real good power, just be sure, if you get the smarty, use the smarty to do timing and the powermax to do the fueling, it's timing is a little aggresive

Smokin07 said:
Well I never got to dyno it but we accomplished one rolling 4wd burnout, one pass down the street, and one attempted boosted launch before I tore the output shaft off of the tranny.....

I am used to (and am bored with) 520 Hp, however this thing is an entirely new scary monster. It throws my 8000 pound truck around like its a toy.
My Diesel guy (24VCHEVY) figures it is good for a solid 750 and maybe even 800hp. I'm not sure what to think but I can tell you the raw power is astonishing and that the Smarty, flux 2.5's, and MP8 work well together...

We will find out just how well soon enough!

thats what my goal is 800.. so whenever you get the results from the dyno and everything let me know

Thanks
Jeff

the k&n is only a good deal if your getting somthing good!
AFE stage 2 is the only way to fly.
the pmt will read and display the rail pressure.

cajuncummins said:
check out the tst powermax CR, it's a chip, so you could stack it, and it's got real good power, just be sure, if you get the smarty, use the smarty to do timing and the powermax to do the fueling, it's timing is a little aggresive
Finally someone brought up TST. I hit 585 with this on stock sticks, a very mild tune on the TST, and just the extreeme setting of my Bully Dog. Sure the TST is expensive but it does the job of like four other boxes all in one.

I use the TST with HP on 2 and an additional 3 degrees of timing. The rail feature has some bugs (it's getting looked at) so that's unplugged for now. It helps with boost fooling as well.

I'm seeing 1800EGT at 120mph WOT. I wonder if the timing at 6 might help with EGT's a but more? Or is it just a fact of too small of a turbo at this point? EGT's are good until the motor is above 3000rpm Boost is over 45, not sure haven't had a change to look at that gauge on a higher speed run.

I so need that Silver 66 like soon. :)

I did 512 HP with edge. This setup is much much stronger. My Rail keeps steady at 22K with original 97,000 mile old injectors.

With only a modded FCA, over 600hp is going to be rather difficult with nitrous and turbo burning every drop of fuel.

Last edited: