Smarty vs PPE HOT

973604x4

aka landphil
dynoed 9-08-07 at Houston Performance.

Smarty layed down 546.31hp on level 9, then backed it up with a 542.74hp run.

Re-programmed while strapped to the dyno.

PPE HOT did 579.52hp, then again at 579.08hp.

I wanted to download Crazy Larry and go again but I was kicked off the dyno :hehe:

Next time I'll compare PPE and Bullydog. Smarty is out of the question :woohoo:

I have no personal experience with the PPE but from what I understand by talking to a couple 3rd gen racers it is the ticket for the quickest time.

yfz04drt said:
If I could of hung around longer, you could of tried mine.

I had one with me ready to go but after all the problems with tubing, they made me get of the dyno

Keep raising the bar and we will top it no question in my mind.

thanks phil

24VChevy said:
What SW version of the Smarty were you running?

Aftermarket injector program with stock turbo straight off the website. I then used a boost fooler since it works better on my truck that way. I have to use stock torque management. Truck isn't driveable any other way.

Ya, you should try the Beta 4.4 I think you might get better results. I dyno'd 700+ on Diesel and spraying washer fluid.

24VChevy said:
Ya, you should try the Beta 4.4 I think you might get better results. I dyno'd 700+ on Diesel and spraying washer fluid.

Well, glad you are special enough to get the program. :poke:

Good info, Phil. I am trying to decide between the Bully Dog and the PPE. Post it up when you get those two compared. I may just order both and try them back to back.

How is the drivability with the PPE? I know the Smarty causes issues on some trucks, how is the ppe for driving?

Last edited:
SmokinCummins said:
Good info, Phil. I am trying to decide between the Bully Dog and the PPE. Post it up when you get them two compared. I may just order both and try them back to back.

How is the drivability with the PPE? I know the Smarty causes issues on some trucks, how is the ppe for driving?

Can't say much for the PPE's driving impression. I was using a borrowed PPE and didn't get much time behind the wheel on the street. I can tell you that it works much better than the high hp programs from the Smarty, but thats not saying much. Anything above level 7 on a smarty likes to run away a bit. :hehe:

Where the Bullydog and Smarty bog down in smoke, the PPE screams. I know that much. Matt I'll call ya when I get it all figured out.

Thanks. I am still ironing out the ECM issues caused by the bad Smarty download, It is somewhat better, but still not like it was before the Smarty messed it up. I will let you know what was done when I get it completely healed.

I know what you mean about the runaway with the Smarty. Some trucks are not affected by it, while other ones make you pucker up:eek: while it runs away.

So does the PPE have all the crazy smoke down low?

Last edited:
SmokinCummins said:
Thanks. I am still ironing out the ECM issues caused by the bad Smarty download, It is somewhat better, but still not like it was before the Smarty messed it up. I will let you know what was done when I get it completely healed.

I've got ECM issues too. Run the same program of any kind for a while and it develops a rattle. Change programs and its good for 500 miles then back to rattling again. Even stock. I drove 500 miles on "stock" power this weekend...but stock I mean ECM. Injectors are far from stock LOL

SmokinCummins said:
I know what you mean about the runaway with the Smarty. Some trucks are not affected by it, while other ones make you pucker up:eek: while it runs away.

So does the PPE have all the crazy smoke down low?

No joke. I loaded up SW7, moderate torque management. Blipped the throttle and the truck pulled clear across the parking lot :umno: :badidea:

the PPE doesn't have the smoke down low. It seems to be a mid to top end performer. :Cheer:

I had injector rattle with the Smarty downloaded. It was only noticeable at idle and light load.

Was the PPE the 4100 rpm tune? I have access to a 4100 rpm Bully Dog file, and am also very interested in the PPE for the same reason. That kind of RPM would really wake these third gens up on the sled. They can't seem to pull with the VPs or the P7100s. I think 4100 rpm would really make a big difference.

I think 4100 would make a HUGE difference if the valves didn't float or snap off, if it really fuels that far.

Buddy Kunz

SmokinCummins said:

Buddy said in a post that he "never saw an ecm he couldn't fix,"....... you may want to PM him and get your ecm to him to reset or reflash it for you.

The Beta 4.4 spools my silver bullet almost like a stocker I've got vid's of the 4.4, the wild smarty, crazy larry with and without tq mang. delete. At the strip sometimes I would smoke out the lights thats not the case with the beta 4.4 best thing I've ever done to my truck period it hardly smokes when I stall it up. I will go into more detail later.