Smoke or No Smoke w tuning EFILive, MCC etc

popeye55

Ok so here is my question which came from a talk between a well ranked diesel truck puller and myself. I am running a custom tuned 06 w EFILive from a well know tuner on the forum. My tune is very very clean and lots of power and I am VERY please with his work. The puller seen the video and was saying I have minimal smoke. I know more smoke means more fuel, more fuel allows for more of the air/oxygen to be burn't in combustion, hence making my power. So not from a environmental perspective, is there more HP just not as clean, and the clean tuning more for the street and sort of a compromise of HP and cop friendly? I am not asking about cool poitns of rolling smoke. I am just wondering will a clean tune make as much HP as one where you added additional fuel

Smoke is unburned fuel, if you're making good power without smoke then sounds like it's pretty well dialed in. The point at which it smokes is there's more fuel than there is oxygen to burn it, or you are limited on oxygen such as when you're beyond the efficiency limits of your turbo which causes intake air to be overheated. You could add more fuel until it starts smoking but the other limiting factor is exhaust gas temps especially if you are still running a stock turbo, exhaust and intake.

Ok so here is my question which came from a talk between a well ranked diesel truck puller and myself. I am running a custom tuned 06 w EFILive from a well know tuner on the forum. My tune is very very clean and lots of power and I am VERY please with his work. The puller seen the video and was saying I have minimal smoke. I know more smoke means more fuel, more fuel allows for more of the air/oxygen to be burn't in combustion, hence making my power. So not from a environmental perspective, is there more HP just not as clean, and the clean tuning more for the street and sort of a compromise of HP and cop friendly? I am not asking about cool poitns of rolling smoke. I am just wondering will a clean tune make as much HP as one where you added additional fuel

Not in my experience. Even common rail's need to over fuel to use every last bit of oxygen in the cylinder.

Diesel's make the most torque near stoich, and that is pretty much a fairly smokey burn.

Not in my experience. Even common rail's need to over fuel to use every last bit of oxygen in the cylinder.

Diesel's make the most torque near stoich, and that is pretty much a fairly smokey burn.

I'm right there with JSP post. I'm guna agree more fuel will make more power if its clean right now.