SO swap

cumminalltheway

ok i put a SOvp on the truck today and i am not at all impressed. i gained no boost and what feels like no power. Its also doing some funny stuff. with my quad off the truck will free rev just fine. with the quad on it will not rev and go into some type of limp mode and throw a CEL. then when i go drive it does the same thing. but then when it gets warm it will be just fine and doesnt do the limp mode but doesnt feel strong. i am going to try a different tune but i am not too sure what to do.

With an SO pump, you will lose some low end power compared to the HO pump. The big difference is on the high end. There is no way an HO pump can deliver at the top end the way the SO pump does. You won't see a difference though unless you have enough fueling to take advantage of it. Don't know what to say on the idle issue. Mine idles just the same as it did with the HO pump. $.02

my idle is the same as well but the revving it will go into a limp mode with the quad on. i have 200s, twins and all supporting mods. i would have thought that i would have seen a gain in boost.

Is the SO pump new? Sounds like its dying. I have had two different trucks do that to me. They have no power and will not rev when its cold, but once it warms up it runs fine. My truck would throw the injection pump timing code. I would bet that your vp is in the beginning stages of death.

but why would i run just fine with the quad box turned off. i get no codes when the box is off. i am pretty stumped on this one.

just a thought, but are the tunes different between an HO and an SO pump on them Quads? i dunno, just asking. i dont run Quadzilla stuff, but it kinda sounds like it may be a tune thing? or a dieing pump..

but why would i run just fine with the quad box turned off. i get no codes when the box is off. i am pretty stumped on this one.

Oh so you are saying that with the box off and the truck being cold it runs fine? I guess I misread your original post.

I wonder if it could be a built in safety feature in the quad box to let the truck warm up to full operating temp before it will deliver full power?

well today i updated the box and it still does the same thing. and it does it when driving as well. so i have been drivin with the box off. i am going to put an edge juice on it tomorrow. if it was a dying pump then it would do it all the time. but then again the quad never skipped a beat with the HO pump

One thing also is that with the quad off the pump can handle the amount of fuel and timing that it's being asked but once you put the quad on it's asking for more than what the pump can handle. I'm running an HO pump on my SO truck right now and when I pulled the HO pump off my buddy's truck that had a drag comp and mach 1.5's it was dead pedaling and running really high egt's. Throw it on my truck with no box and it runs just as good as the brand new SO pump I pulled off. How old is the SO pump?

the SO has 5000 miles on it. i did buy it from a vendor that i already talked to and said that he will make it right.

update- I installed an edge juice with attitude and no more problems. i think that is so weird. i run the edge on any level and it runs smooth and fine.

another update, i drove the truck a few more times and the CEL went off and is running just great. the quad is getting sent in for repairs and will be getting sold. i am so tired of their unreliability.