SO versus HO ecm

yjay

My truck has been in the shop for quite some time with an electrical gremlin. The shop says they need an ecm from a 1998 thru 2000 5 speed SO truck to test it. Is there a difference in ecm's from so and ho trucks? 5 speed or 6 speed? They say yes. I thought all manuals were HO? A new ecm is like 700 bucks so I'd like to verify before I buy. Thanks.

6speed started in 2001 and would not be compatible with the early truck

Last edited:
I thought all manuals were HO?

All manuals were not HO's but all HO's were manuals.

Do you know someone with a truck that has the ECM you need that would let you borrow theirs for testing?

That is what I'm looking for now. I spoke to a friend of mine that had a 99 like mine, but he recently sold it. The shop I'm using is having a hard time finding one also unfortunately. Tough to throw a $700 part at it and hope.

dont buy another used 99 waste of money, get a 2000 or 2001 and get it flashed for your 99. you will be well above the curve.

Who can reflash one? Why are the later ones better?

Alright. Mr. Wagner, what would such an item cost me?

you should be able to find an ecm for 2-300 bucks . Check with Mark Nixon

Have a PM in to Mr. Nixon. Waiting with baited breath.

If Mark doesn't have one check with "odieub". He currently has some P-pump linkages listed in the "Dodge Products" for sale forum.

I have one for a 99. But I've run both the Ho and So ecm with out issues. Or much of a difference.

Have a PM in to Mr. Nixon. Waiting with baited breath.
That would be "bated" breath, otherwise it has the chance that it smells like fish bait. LOL

I don't have any of those ECMs, that I can sell, at the moment.

Mark.

That would be "bated" breath, otherwise it has the chance that it smells like fish bait. LOL

I don't have any of those ECMs, that I can sell, at the moment.

Mark.

You have a ton of parts. I wish I had half of your inventory here in Phoenix. Used parts places here are a joke.

I need a better system, to keep the stuff, both inventoried and properly stored.
Fortunately, all the engines I get are "cores", so getting wet usually isn't much of an issue.
It also helps that most people I sell to are either re-machining them radically, or using them as turn ins, themselves.
Otherwise it's just a pile of junk. :hehe:

Oh, and I can't sell complete trucks to save my life, so they usually end up get exploded.

Mark.