So...where are the D-maxes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, Brad with the Dirtymax is one bad ride that I forgot about. I think he made 890rwhp or so on the dyno but was having trouble getting good readings due to tire growth, etc. I know there are some bad news D-maxes waiting in the wings, guess we'll see em this year? =)

SledPuller21 said:
Thank you I was looking for that post...knew they wern't stock.:thankyou2:
your welcome, i knew they weren't and i remembered the thread from when it was posted, had to prove they weren't stock. Not much on that motor is stock.
Ohh and duramaxin how can you say the the CR Cummins guys have an advantage? Their motor has been out since 2003, yeah they have had previous versions, but all the tuning, and fueling is all new, so really, you guys had a 2 year head start.

Mcrat has stock injectors. He was playing with them injectors right there and could not admize fuel correclty so he went stock

There are no stock nozzles in Nasty and hasn't been since the truck was stock.

And that motor that is going in Gregs rail......................that is no BS!!! Had breakfast with Gregs engine builder yesterday morning as he is a personal friend of mine also.

Good luck with that monster Greg, you have the best of the best sittin in that crate!!! No doubt in my mind!!! :rockwoot:

I will be the first to admit the Cummins is a stout strong motor and has dominated for a long time, but watch what happens in the Dmax world in the next year.......I think alot of people are going to change their tune.....literally!!! :hehe:

Wonder what things would be like if the cummins were the only motor with EFI live and the Dmax's had only off the shelf programmers...??

BigB82789 said:
Wonder what things would be like if the cummins were the only motor with EFI live and the Dmax's had only off the shelf programmers...??

Well, then you could switch most of the replys from the Dodge guys to the GM guys in this thread and every other "cummins vs. Dmax" thread I've ever read. Can't believe with all the "e-arguing" this hasn't been resolved yet...:rolleyes: $.02

I've been saying for about a year now...once the CR's get the RPM thing and a few other tweaks down, (kinda like EFI live) they're gonna be making huge improvements. I personally don't care either way, I love Diesel Motorsports....I just happen to have a Dmax and I really like it. But I don't race/compete with it, so that allows me to enjoy all of them (even some fords,;) ) without feeling the need to ponder such important questions on the web. However, I hope that it Dodge guys get it soon, because then I'd like to see how the other camps fire back. Makes it fun for us sideline sittin', popcorn munchin' beer drinkers. ;)

Last edited:
duramaxin14 said:
Mcrat has stock injectors. He was playing with them injectors right there and could not admize fuel correclty so he went stock

In 2007 we ran 10.83 @ 126mph in Texas on fuel at 6280lb raceweight (measured at track). Pump fuel with stock .0059" dia 7-hole LLY injector nozzles.

I think we can go 10.5x with stock nozzles at that weight today.

23 mpg, turn-key, grocery-getter. There is more on the table.

Noreaster said:
How the hell are you getting that kind of mileage?

Truck is lowered 4", turbo has almost no backpressure or boost cruising, and weight is only 6400 with steel radials.

Nasty Girl said:
There are no stock nozzles in Nasty and hasn't been since the truck was stock.

And that motor that is going in Gregs rail......................that is no BS!!! Had breakfast with Gregs engine builder yesterday morning as he is a personal friend of mine also.

Good luck with that monster Greg, you have the best of the best sittin in that crate!!! No doubt in my mind!!! :rockwoot:

I will be the first to admit the Cummins is a stout strong motor and has dominated for a long time, but watch what happens in the Dmax world in the next year.......I think alot of people are going to change their tune.....literally!!! :hehe:

I can't wait, I'm working on the car now, and I feel a 6 second pass is just a weekend of testing away with this monster.
As I looked at the last of Eddie Hills Nuclear Bananas, its thoroughbred linage evident, you can almost hear it beckon for a long over due date with the strip. It’s an honor to take this piece of history on its maiden pass down the quarter mile
dragsternx155.jpg

Cost?

There are some really good points in this thread but it is true the D-Max takes a lot of money to get the engine to hold up for the season. 30-40K to get the engine to live including the fuel and single turbo package. I do think the CR Dodges will step up this year and that is why we build a complete new package to make sure our truck was ready. The cost of these trucks is getting out of control and I hope it doesn't take it's toll on the sport in general. Looking at the CR Dodge parts, it doesn't seem to me they have the durability of the early engines which could lead to the same issues we see in the D-Max. Our truck was well over 750HP last year and we stepped it up this year but we have not dynoed the truck. The dyno #'s are just base lines for tuning and when used in conjuction with the track can be very useful. I think the rule packages will continue to tighten up to try and keep cost and competition in check but maybe not. The season starts in a few weeks for us and it will take a few hooks to get the new combination figured out but it looks promising so far.

One thing I have learned is you can't go faster staying the same!:bang

First off, the reason that you would change away from a allison is that it, while being a great tranny for the average user, is not designed or does it perform well in a drag racing situation. If a truck can do a 11 second 1/4 with an ally, then it probably could do a 10.3 without.

A stock ally can only handle around 400 - 450 hp before it starts to complain. I hurt my ally with just a PPE hot +2 on it.

I just happen to have both a cummins and a duramax (LBZ). It definately would cost me more to get and stay competative in the 10 sec range with a duramax. But in the 13 second range, hands down to the duramax. It takes allmost nothing to get it there. With the PPE and a fuel upgrade I am quite sure I would have ran mid 13's with that truck. After that though it starts to go up in price and quickly,, not to mention how the front end keeps on wanting to touch itself all the time. I really hate having to go and drop the torsion bars everytime I want to race.. and the other option is big bucks, or deteriation of ride quality. With my dodge, I still have exactly the same setup as the truck came from the factory with, and run 10's

Kevin

TAZMAN10 said:
There are some really good points in this thread but it is true the D-Max takes a lot of money to get the engine to hold up for the season. 30-40K to get the engine to live including the fuel and single turbo package. I do think the CR Dodges will step up this year and that is why we build a complete new package to make sure our truck was ready. The cost of these trucks is getting out of control and I hope it doesn't take it's toll on the sport in general. Looking at the CR Dodge parts, it doesn't seem to me they have the durability of the early engines which could lead to the same issues we see in the D-Max. Our truck was well over 750HP last year and we stepped it up this year but we have not dynoed the truck. The dyno #'s are just base lines for tuning and when used in conjuction with the track can be very useful. I think the rule packages will continue to tighten up to try and keep cost and competition in check but maybe not. The season starts in a few weeks for us and it will take a few hooks to get the new combination figured out but it looks promising so far.

One thing I have learned is you can't go faster staying the same!:bang

I still want to know where you come up with 30-40k to get the motor where it will live. Give us a ballpark break down of the parts needed to "make it live"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back