solid suspenion

since were on the topic of blocked suspension. Does anyone have an idea what would cause my truck to bounce when i block the suspension. It doesn't bounce any other time. i took a piece of 1/8 steel and welded a piece of box tubing to it about 2 inches long and then welded a 3/4 nut inside of it so you can put a bolt in it and then back the bolt down against the bump stop on the axle. the box tubing bolts in place of the rubber bump stops.

Need a little more info on the truck. Weight? Pulling class? Your air pressure?

since were on the topic of blocked suspension. Does anyone have an idea what would cause my truck to bounce when i block the suspension. It doesn't bounce any other time. i took a piece of 1/8 steel and welded a piece of box tubing to it about 2 inches long and then welded a 3/4 nut inside of it so you can put a bolt in it and then back the bolt down against the bump stop on the axle. the box tubing bolts in place of the rubber bump stops.

Does it have traction bars on it or is it just being blocked solid?

The no bounce stoppers.
Img001_2048x1536-1.jpg

Img003_2048x1536.jpg

Img002_2048x1536.jpg

Last edited:
Need a little more info on the truck. Weight? Pulling class? Your air pressure?

weight I pull is usually around 8000 lbs. around here i pretty much pull modified street. i have 33x12.50x16 STS and run around 20 in the front and 30 in the rear.

Does it have traction bars on it or is it just being blocked solid?

It has traction bars on it that go from the bottom of the axle spring seats to just under the drivers and passengers seat on the frame. no preload on the bars either. I also have the springs clamped front and back of the leaf spring with 2 pieces of 3/8 steel and 1/2 bolts.

Does it bounce right off the line? Do you have a video? Id run more psi in the rear, try 50.

weight I pull is usually around 8000 lbs. around here i pretty much pull modified street. i have 33x12.50x16 STS and run around 20 in the front and 30 in the rear.

Up your air pressure in the back to 40+ psi. I have seen alot of trucks that hop bad because people run to little air in the rear.$.02

Yup, air the rear up some. Try to pre-load the rear suspension a little before clamping the springs also, this usually helps.

Yup, air the rear up some. Try to pre-load the rear suspension a little before clamping the springs also, this usually helps.

ok, i'll try more air in the back. when you say preload the suspension, your talking about some weight in the bed and then clamp the springs?

ok, i'll try more air in the back. when you say preload the suspension, your talking about some weight in the bed and then clamp the springs?

Yup, put a bunch of weight in the back to compress the springs, or load a trailer onto the back of it then clamp the springs. Then take the weight off of it. Will help to keep it from bouncing. How are you taking off from the line? Does is have spacers in the front coils to lift it?

Yup, put a bunch of weight in the back to compress the springs, or load a trailer onto the back of it then clamp the springs. Then take the weight off of it. Will help to keep it from bouncing. How are you taking off from the line? Does is have spacers in the front coils to lift it?

I take off a little more aggresive then i should due to the truck not being a full out pulling truck, i don't want to trash the clutch. No spacers in the front coils. I'll trying putting weight in the back and then clamping them.

I take off a little more aggresive then i should due to the truck not being a full out pulling truck, i don't want to trash the clutch. No spacers in the front coils. I'll trying putting weight in the back and then clamping them.

What do you have in it for a clutch? I have seen a couple of different trucks take off too aggresively and bounce from the start like you said because they had a single disc clutch in it. Those same two trucks put a twin disc in it and were able to slide it out and it eliminated their bounce.

What do you have in it for a clutch? I have seen a couple of different trucks take off too aggresively and bounce from the start like you said because they had a single disc clutch in it. Those same two trucks put a twin disc in it and were able to slide it out and it eliminated their bounce.

Yup, some trucks you have to drive them out of the hole instead of just letting them fly. Do you hang weights on the front? If you can't then sometimes you won't be able to get the truck out real hot. Also, what kind of shocks are in the front?

If it's the truck in his sig it has a SB 3600 DD In it.

Any of you guys running solid has frame fles issues? That's my only real concern with my old 1st gen.

Do you have any kind of a lift kit in the truck? Lift kits cause a lot of bouncing and breakage.

Any of you guys running solid has frame fles issues? That's my only real concern with my old 1st gen.

If you tie everything together and brace it up where the hitch is attached you shouldn't have a problem with it flexing. They will always flex a little, you just need to let it flex in the right spots.:aiwebs_008:

I have heard of a few people with first gen's that boxed the frame in to stiffen them up. But be careful if you do, if you dont flex then you break

Back