Some hp questions

Jesse Lambert

Looking at buying a 2000 3500 dually and wondering approx. amout of HP it will make. It has hx40/ht3b twins, Mach 4 injectors, and an edge comp box. I know that it is goin to need some fuel system upgrades but is this a reputable setup? Is it worth picking up? Oh yea already has arp studs and DTT trans and converter. Thanks for the help guys. Been lurking a while and finally able to purchase another diesel.:rockwoot:

I'm guessing 550hp. Pending on how good the VP is and if it has a lp that can keep up.

if i buy it, it will more then likely get the Glacier lift pump/big line kit. and probably upgraded to the adrenaline

I am guess in the high 400 or low 500hp range.

I would hang onto the edge comp for a little while. And you probly should consider a air dog or a FASS fuel pump.

should be in the upper 475-495HP range with mach 4's... should be a great daily driver! send your injectors to don and upgrade them to mach 6's and your @ 550-600HP. does it have o-rings?? if not then u'll be pushing your luck on blowing a head gasket.

Lavon

have to check on that, i do know that it has arp studs. Pretty sure the seller said that Tim Barber? set it up.

Hmmm...
I would not see why with what it has the truck should not go into the high 500's and low 600's easily on fuel alone with a 40/3b combo.Before you istall the Adrenaline I would check to see if the Edge Comp is a regular or drag version.

IF it was me and the Comp was not a drag version,I would send it back to Edge and have it upgraded instead of buying the other box.I have seen both boxes at our dyno shows and the Edge box outperforms the Quadzilla box hands down.........Andy

pretty sure it is a standard box. what is the turnaround time on the box if you send it out to be updated to the drag comp.

Look on the data plate/info tag on the box, it should have "HOT" on it somewhere if it has been upgraded.

Sounds like a driver friendly/ tow friendly 500+ truck. It may not the with the best of the best as far as horsepower goes, but that should be a great combo for overall utility.

I say buy it...and if you don't like it, sell me the HT3B and the piping, lol

Tim Barber knows what he is doing! He builds a heck of a transmission and knows how to setup a twin setup... I say buy it... should be reliable.

Lavon

Ok, I went and test drove it last night. I just have a couple of worries with this truck. First, it does need 6 new tires they are done. Second, the steering really concerns me. It drives like it has a rubber steering shaft. The truck will start to pull one way or the other and it takes alot of response from the steering wheel before it starts coming back and then you almost have to counter steer it. Kinda hard to explain. The last thing is that im not quite sure of the turbos on this truck. He did tell me that they came off of Tim Barbers personal truck around 2006. How long should a setup like this last, is there a lifespan for these turbos? I didnt check the shaft play on the turbos but if i go back i will.

It deffinatly needs some more fuel. It just barely hazed. At idle it had around 10-12 psi, cruzing around 8 psi and not sure about wot.

The dyno sheet that he showed me was 439.8 hp and 770 ft lb.

Ok, so he is asking $12,500 but is willing to work with me some. What are your opinions on this. Im kind of torn right now.:bang

If you are making 10-12 psi idle and around 8 cruisin', then you are going to be in the 3-4 range at WOT. Definatley needs lift pump upgrade...but you know that. My truck steers like it has a rubber shaft too but the tread blocks on my tires are tall and account for most of it. If the tires are worn out it shouldn't walk too bad. You can also tighten up the steering box a little and put a new stabilizer on it and that aught to cure most of it. Good luck.

A light haze is actually good, means the air and fuel are matched well and the turbo's are doing their job. Sounds like a fuel system upgrade is on order as well, now if it will hold 8psi at WOT that's not a killer, just less than optimal.

Steering is fixable, plan on upgrading the tracbar, it's shot and the stock style unit just plain sucks azz on these trucks, don't even bother buying one. Plan on either a 3rd gen retrofit or one of the thuren tracbar kits, costly but worth it IMHO. I would go ahead and plan on a set of ball joints as well, they are like candy to a Dodge, they just love to eat'em.

Yes, if it has a lot of slack you can turn the wheel, and turn it some more, and THEN the wheels will actually turn :bang Slack in the steering box will not help the issue either, but it's fairly easy to tighten up or replace.

Hmmm...
I would not see why with what it has the truck should not go into the high 500's and low 600's easily on fuel alone with a 40/3b combo.Before you istall the Adrenaline I would check to see if the Edge Comp is a regular or drag version.

IF it was me and the Comp was not a drag version,I would send it back to Edge and have it upgraded instead of buying the other box.I have seen both boxes at our dyno shows and the Edge box outperforms the Quadzilla box hands down.........Andy

I have run the edge comp as well as smarty and TSTcomp and none of them in any combo (sans all together) made my truck pull as hard as Adrenaline alone (I run #2024)! It may not win peak dyno runs ,but on a DD the Quad is the shiznet! $.02