something has play ?

Blown 5.9

GONE
hey guys ive noticed recently . when i put the truck in gear it feels like its being neutral dropped . also when you take it out of gear the truck slams outta gear

same thing when it shifts, you can feel like play in something , i replaced the u joints and that didnt fix anything . im not real sure were to start looking ? any input is appreciated !

Last edited:
with the driveshaft hooked up and the truck in park .. i can turn the drive shaft alittle bit .. could that be a bad pinon bearing ? and im searching now but havent found out yet how to tighten the backlash .

Last edited:
That does not mean you have a bad pinion bearing. If you pick up at the rear of the driveshaft, close to the pinion yoke and have up and down movement, you could have a bad or loose pinion. To tighten backlash, you need to move shims from one side of the differential bearing to the other side. Keep the same amount of shims, so you keep the correct preload on the differential bearings. I don't know how much play you have, but if you add a little pinion backlash, slop in your transfer case chain, and anything in the transmission, it can add up. You will never get it all out.

with the driveshaft hooked up and the truck in park .. i can turn the drive shaft alittle bit .. could that be a bad pinon bearing ? and im searching now but havent found out yet how to tighten the backlash .

Put it in neutral to check the rear diff backlash.