something is broken

CumminsDriver

BAM BAM
ok heres the deal the truck runs fine in 2wd...but as soon as i stick it in 4wd hi or low doesnt matter it pops. Well i took the transfer case apart cleaned it and put it back together(PITA). But it still pops and had someone watch the front driveshaft and it looks like its popping forward but all the u joints are fine. i havent torn into the front diff but could it really be the front diff before i go tear into it. The reason its confusing me is that it doesnt do it at all in 2wd. Help?

mine did the same thing the u joints by the tcase seemd fine on the truck but when we took it off we could see binding in the ball part between the ujoints. did you check you wheel ujoints?

Most likely the chain in the case is stretched did you check and see how loose it was?

Most likely the chain in the case is stretched did you check and see how loose it was?

yes this is a possibility. had a friends that did that and the chain was skipping in the transfer case

I know of four cr trucks that had the same issue. All had stretched chains in the tcase.

it does sound like a stretch chain cause of the way it sounds when it happens but i didnt see any wear on the front driveshaft gear inside the tcase. Wouldnt there be alot of shavings or something in the bottom or even in the magnet or filter?

I had the same issue and mine was the ball joint in the shaft. It finally went out and the drive shaft tried coming through my floorboard!

Does it get any worse if you try to make a turn?

Ya it gets real bad when turning....Pretty much when ever the front tires have a load on them it will pop....what ball joint on the shaft r u talking about?

it does sound like a stretch chain cause of the way it sounds when it happens but i didnt see any wear on the front driveshaft gear inside the tcase. Wouldnt there be alot of shavings or something in the bottom or even in the magnet or filter?

No not unless it has been doing it for awile.

Simple test for this is to pull the rear drive shaft. put it in 4 wheel drive hold the brake and give it some throttle if it sounds like some one is trying to cut through the florboard with a chain saw its a streeched chain.

No not unless it has been doing it for awile.

Simple test for this is to pull the rear drive shaft. put it in 4 wheel drive hold the brake and give it some throttle if it sounds like some one is trying to cut through the florboard with a chain saw its a streeched chain.

ok i will try that...if it is where can i get a new chain at? is urs chain or gear?

It was and then it went out on me and I got a new one.

It was kinda scarry doing 80 mph down 45 when it went out.