Spacers between frame and receiver hitch??

deerefanatic

Always learnin...
Ok guys, got a bit of a problem. My truck when I got it had a 2" receiver tube welded to the bottom of the bumper. The bumper is one of those stainless steel "cowboy" bumpers... Like this: Dodge RAM Pickup Rear Bumper 10 Drop Center Chrome | eBay

I decided the DOT would have a hayday with that (even though I've had a LOT of weight on that bumper with no ill effects). So, I bought a Curt Class 5 hitch for the truck. got it and went to install it today... Because of the drop center bumper, the receiver tube hits the bottom side of the bumper and lacks about 1.5-2" of touching the frame. :nail:

what my thoughts are is to take some tube stock, cut it to 1.5", then put those spacers between the hitch and the frame. I'd use Grade 8 hardware to bolt it all up. (The hitch comes with Grade 5 from the factory. :umno:)

You guys think I'd have any problems doing this? I can't see how it would be a problem with good hardware if you bolt it down tight.

Good hardware will not solve the problem, notch the bumper and call it a day, the hitch is far more important

My ranch hand bumper is built like that so you shouldn't have an issue with DOT. There is a reason that it came with grade 5 hardware too.

Well, the receiver tube is already cut out off the bumper...... So it's not towing anything now. LOL. Plus, I know for a fact it wasn't class 5 rated...

As for the Grade 5 vs 8, I'm not entirely convinced either way on that debate.....

No, I'm not notching out that bumper. Not happening.

Anybody know of a Class 5 that works with a drop bumper? I can probably return this one...

Don't know of any that will work with that style without modifying the bumper in some way. Why not just use the bumper what's the reason for adding the receiver hitch?

Cause I can guarrantee the DOT would have a blast with that setup. :(

I've found some, but they're all class 3 setups. Grrr.

I may be forced to mod the bumper... I'm also looking at cutting the side plates since they are just 1/4" steel and welding in a strip to lower the hitch... By the time I grind it and repaint, you'll never be able to tell.

Why do you need such a high rating receiver hitch? Why not just step up to a gooseneck? If your worried about DOT and your bumper, what do you think they are gonna do when they see your modified receiver hitch. Once you change it the rating will change also. Just like the hardware there is a reason it's sold that way.

I own a 40' Goosneck. But, every once in a while, I have to haul a neighbor's pintle hitch trailer... Plus, I've got the opportunity to haul RV's part time on the weekend for $$, so gotta have a Class 5 for the guy that I'm working for.

I'm gonna look seriously today at notching the bumper.... See what this ol' hack can do to make it look good. LOL

I think you can still make it look good and not be harassed by DOT.

That or sell that bumper and get a stock one. Might be able to offset the cost some that way

im wanting a bumper like that, so if you sell it, let me know. thanks.