Special tools needed for VP 44?

RedPuller

Diesel Inside
First off I am a 12 valve guy and have worked on very few 24 valve engines. My question is what special tools are needed to replace the VP 44? Obviously gonna need a puller for the gear but anything else needed? Any tricks or tips someone can give me would be most appreciated as I did a search for replacing the pump but didn't come up with much......any links to pump replacement threads would also be appreciated. :Cheer:

Thanks guys,

Joe

Super easy. Pull the breather off of the cover and your looking at the nut. Just turn it so the keyway is at 12 before you pop the gear. It makes it easier to line up the replacement. Everything else is lines and one bracket. Done.

Yes you'll need a puller.

Last edited:
the only special tool is the gear puller. a crows foot 3/4" i handy but not really necessary. it really is just pulling bolts. the most important thing to watch for is the key. point the keyway to 12 o'clock by rolling the motor over, you don't want to drop that in the front case! i superglue it on the shaft when i install, but peening it will work as well.

don't think i missed much, but it's still early.

i put a little paint on the tip of the key itself made it a little easier to get it lined up so it didnt get popped out hope that helps

cool, thank guys.....so will the Snap-on puller SP500 kit work for pulling the gear?

Turning the pump shaft to 12 o'clock is only necessary for preventing the keyway from falling into the gearcase right? Basically asking if there is any need for setting pump timing.....i know, i'm a mechanical guy, so used to setting timing on the 12v but being the 24v is electronic, no timing marks need to be set right?

Joe

yep, just to keep it from falling in. the computer takes care of the timing.

not sure about the puller. the pump gear will have 2 hols roughly 2 inches apart that are threaded. something like a steering wheel puller works pretty good. also read about modifing the rear lift hook off the head. just unthread the breather from the front cover, and you'll see what you need.

best of luck,

Make sure the offset keyway is turned right direction.
and that the # on the keyway matches the one on the pump.

I paint the key bright yellow, you can leave the back set of lines on the motor if your in a hurry, when goin back to start it tightin up #2 inj line on the head tight cause the intake horn will not allow a wrench to get in there, also if you prime the pump before tryin to start it will make it alot easer to

I put the key in and take a punch and hit the shaft were it meets the keyway, holds the keyway so its alot easier to line up and it dont come halfway out when your trying to tighten the nut up.

The vp takes a 1 1/16 socket, I didn't have one my first time so make sure you have that.

WOW! Im shocked people would mention hitting the pump shaft to hold the key in. I install dozens of VP's a year and have never had to risk my pump shaft by striking it for holding the key in. The paint method is what works well so you can see it coming thru the gear slot with a mirror and light.

WOW! Im shocked people would mention hitting the pump shaft to hold the key in. I install dozens of VP's a year and have never had to risk my pump shaft by striking it for holding the key in. The paint method is what works well so you can see it coming thru the gear slot with a mirror and light.

I was thinking as I was reading that I didn't want to go beating on an already not super tough pump!

Ive found it easier to help me by putting a drop light on valve cover and looking through the back side of the gear which would be looking towards the radiater. It has helped me line up keyway better. It may sound crazy but you can see the shaft go through the gear almost all the way to the keyway!

Hell no i been working steady and aint had time to do much!

blue chip diesel has some good intructions on line so do not have to remove all of the fuel lines. only one group of 3. cuts down on the install time

blue point gear remover tool #sp 504 is for the VP.when you replace one you can replace the second one with your eyes closed but not for the key way keep them opened please. suck when the key way falls out and cant find it till 1 hr later on the floor under the truck made me feel better thats where it was even when is your frinds truck.