square tubing inserts

3/8" wall DOM (don't remember the I.D.) happened to fit the biggest top links Tractor Supply had the best. I spent close to $400 on Dan's and got lucky and found a 15' drop for $100 at a local pipe yard on mine. Plenty heavy enough IMHO.

3/8" wall DOM (don't remember the I.D.) happened to fit the biggest top links Tractor Supply had the best. I spent close to $400 on Dan's and got lucky and found a 15' drop for $100 at a local pipe yard on mine. Plenty heavy enough IMHO.

Mine were the same outer diameter and .5" wall, they were heavy enough for 3 or 4 years. They weren't the initial failure point, but the tubing is bent.

Have you seen the hd end links that Tomac & Burkhardt use?? I got some front a big rig shop & they come as a set on a large dia. threaded rod. My bars are 2" square tubing. The threaded rod fit perfectly inside the tubing. Just had the end welded up & had plug welds in the tubing to the rod. They are substantially better than any tractor top link.

I'd recommend you step up the strength there or else the strongest rod is still going to fail where that small dia. link meets the tubing.

Dan, have you seen the hd end links that Tomac & Burkhardt use?? I got some front a big rig shop & they come as a set on a large dia. threaded rod. My bars are 2" square tubing. The threaded rod fit perfectly inside the tubing. Just had the end welded up & had plug welds in the tubing to the rod. They are substantially better than any tractor top link.

I'd recommend you step up the strength there or else the strongest rod is still going to fail where that small dia. link meets the tubing.

Thanks, I have a compD member making some square inserts. The small diameter on the link was a concern for me like you mentioned. I was going to put a bushing(piece of pipe) over it to help it in that area and take up the area between the square tube and round. I really think the square inserts will take care of the problem. The ends on the end of the top links look very stout and I am going to try to minimize the amount of threaded rod exposed.

The 2x2 bars that Tim is talking about are the ones ive been building. I have close to 6 yrs on my first set ive built.
Here is a picture of them.
100_1253.jpg

100_1254.jpg

Back