SRW to DRW Brake ???

cumminstroked

My 99 F250 currently has disc brakes on the Sterling 10.5 rear axle. I'm wanting to upgrade to a Dana 80. I found a Dana 80 complete assembly from under a ford but it has drum brakes. What would it take to convert my truck to accept drum brakes or to convert the axle to disc brakes?

If you're going to swap the entire rear end then it would be as simple as disconnecting the brake hose from the srw and hooking it to the drw axle. Might need different parking brake cables if that is a concern. Not sure if you would need a proportioning valve or not to balance out the brakes. I assume the drw rear is from an obs??

If you're going to swap the entire rear end then it would be as simple as disconnecting the brake hose from the srw and hooking it to the drw axle. Might need different parking brake cables if that is a concern. Not sure if you would need a proportioning valve or not to balance out the brakes. I assume the drw rear is from an obs??

Thats what i was thinking myself. The DRW is supposed to be from a 99-04 ford. He said it has 8x170 bolt pattern but it has drum brakes. I have never seen a 99 or newer with drums but then again i have never really paid too much attention.

The pressures for drum vs disc brakes are quite different.

I never thought of that. UNBROKEN you would probably know an answer for this question... Can the sterling 10.5 hold up on a dedicated puller with gear and axle upgrades and a good locker? Or would I be wasting time and money on it and should do a dana 80 swap?

I have disc from a 99' F350 Dana 80 on my 88' F350 Dana 70
100_6012.jpg

I don't think you would be able to use the same master cylinder for the drums. Wheel cylinders take a lot less volume of fluid than a caliper.

I never thought of that. UNBROKEN you would probably know an answer for this question... Can the sterling 10.5 hold up on a dedicated puller with gear and axle upgrades and a good locker? Or would I be wasting time and money on it and should do a dana 80 swap?

i talked to the guys in the 2.6 class at ts about this for i am wondering the same.....except i've already put in custom aftermarket axles, locker and ring and pinion, built a 3/8" dif cover...... knowing damn well i am going to have issues... the guys still running them say they have axle breakage issues all the time. but there is a 600hp 2.6 7.3 around here that still has factory axles and never an issue with 3seasons of hookn...... easy off the line and hope she never hops...

Back