Stack Clamps

OH... I wondered cause I did do any of what he said.

This is what I know of the Staxx clamps. The guy Bruce Mann owns a fab shop. He has a day job though and his fab shop is his hobby. He made himself probably the coolest headache rack you've ever seen.

Anyway, he saw the need for a decent clamp because of the wallowing deal. He drew something up, wrote the program and started making them. He didn't do it to go into business making them. He just wanted to offer a really nice, quality product for those who were interested. Well, it turned out quite a few were so he started pumping them out.

I don't know the in's and out's of materials but, I do know it fluctuates in cost. Since he's not a full scale fab operation, I'm sure he doesn't buy in bulk. So yes, the price will be higher. There's also the cost of employees, shop overhead...etc. I can easily see where the cost comes from.

There are 4 places I know of to buy the clamps. All of us are very small and not main stream so that shows he's not looking to go big with them. They're there for those who want them

As for copying... hell that happens to everything that comes out. You can't help that unless you dish out the cash for a patent.

This is what I know of the Staxx clamps. The guy Bruce Mann owns a fab shop. He has a day job though and his fab shop is his hobby. He made himself probably the coolest headache rack you've ever seen.

Anyway, he saw the need for a decent clamp because of the wallowing deal. He drew something up, wrote the program and started making them. He didn't do it to go into business making them. He just wanted to offer a really nice, quality product for those who were interested. Well, it turned out quite a few were so he started pumping them out.

I don't know the in's and out's of materials but, I do know it fluctuates in cost. Since he's not a full scale fab operation, I'm sure he doesn't buy in bulk. So yes, the price will be higher. There's also the cost of employees, shop overhead...etc. I can easily see where the cost comes from.

There are 4 places I know of to buy the clamps. All of us are very small and not main stream so that shows he's not looking to go big with them. They're there for those who want them

As for copying... hell that happens to everything that comes out. You can't help that unless you dish out the cash for a patent.

Exactly...niche market. Problem is, there is always someone who can do it cheaper for themselves, or also in very small numbers;)

TJ for example, I believe drew it up in AutoCAD or something, and gave to a friend to machine.

Why he (Bruce) got all riled up because someone built one like it, and told some friends about it, I don't know. TJ got a favor from a guy with a machine, and he had the chunk of metal...there's no cheaper way to do it that that:hehe:

Chris

This seems like a good time to ask. We have looked at making some of these but I am curious what do you feel a high quality clamp for a 7" stack should cost? Obviously the cheap band clamp styles prove they dont hold up. So be realistic. To have something well made and designed to fit your set up, what is it worth?

Chris if you want to make one for a 6" and send it with my turbo id be glad to be a guiney pig!!!:rockwoot: Id also post some pics up so fellas could see what they look like installed!!

i saw his headache rack and it was kool as hell and i agree the guy makes some trick stuff, i am not knocking his stuff. the first time i inquired about a 7" clamp from him i told him no thanks im not securing a $275 single stack set up with a clamp that cost almost as much. he got very mad and went off telling me about how he made no profit and it cost so much for quality and such.

i then drew up my own very similar version (i mean how many ways are there to design a billet clamp) gave the file to my buddy. he found some scrap in his shop at work and had the machinist there go to town on it in his spare time during the day. i waited 7 months for it, not CNC'd, hand machined, and it turned out nice. the guy who makes them or is very closely involved with the builder then came in and dig up the thread after it was a few months old and started whining and moaning about how i copied them.

if someone with a CNC machine in a shop wanted to make them in bulk, they could order the materials from a casting/forging company in the 3 rough shapes needed, make them with minimal waste and minimal man hours in just loading the pieces vs hand making them, and you would end up with a very high quality product for much less.

i dont have the resources to do this, i had one made, it cost me nothing, and once i get it powder coated i will install it on my truck and never sell nor produce another one.

I have a 7" peterbuilt stack clamp i bought off of fleabay for 28.00 dollars and it holds well once you change the crappy bolt for a better one!
1003081726a.jpg