stack question

I would definately expect to see a power loss from using dual 5" stacks when compared to a single 5".

I got bored the other day and ran the numbers on two straight exhaust systems, turbo to tail.

Long story short on a 550 HP 3.0 class truck, you would gain 2-3 HP going from a single 4" to a single 5" from the turbo back.

A 5 inch stack vs, a 5" turbo back prolly wont make much difference as the shorter overall run from the Stacked exhaust is offset by the 90 degree bend to send the pipe through the bed. A general rule of thumb, every 90 degree bend is equivelant to an additional 10 feet of straight pipe.

550 hp 3.0 truck. What 3.0 truck is running 550 hp? Most should be close to 1k

was looking at a tow rig. Basicly a standard street set of twins.

Garrett GT42-02 or S400 as the bottom turbo. i.e. a 3.0 turbo as the primary in twins.

a properly sized single setup will flow better than a dual setup...

going bigger on the Y pipe and elbows will probably make the problem worse because you slow the exhaust down even furthur... and it'll swirl and eddy and stall in the bends... this causes more backpressure

yeah, That's why I was wondering if anyone had tried going from a 4" exhaust to dual 3" or something along that line.

I think right now, I'm going to do what Josh recommended; duals for the street and single for competition.

I think right now, I'm going to do what Josh recommended; duals for the street and single for competition.[/QUOTE]

Thats what I would do I think it's actually what I'm going to do next year. I'm running a silverline dual 5" stack setup on my truck right now for the street hopefully to be complemented by the single 6" or 7" next year for pulling.

Last edited:
why would you take up more bed space and give up performance for the "street" :confused:

I don't really lose any bed space since there is toolbox behind it anyway and it looks alot better on the street. I don't know I'm giving up that much performance. I held my own aginst some tough trucks this year in Ohio with my street truck.

for my wife it is. That's our compromise. I get the single for the track and she gets the stacks for the street. We don't do any street racing and I drive pretty easy, so it doesn't really matter to me. As long as she is happy, I'm happy.

The really funny part is that she is the only that actually sled pulls with it and I'm the one that drive it on the street. Figure that one out :(

Back