stainless vs inconnel valves

dmaxexpress

Looking for aftermarket valves for my dedicated 12v puller. What would you prefer stainless steel or inconnel.

heat one of each with a torch till they glow almost white. the inconel just gets harder the hotter it gets.

to quote Johnboy
"If hell had gates, they would be made of inconel"

if i remember correctly the 05 and later common rails came with inconel exhaust valves and stainless intakes.

Last edited:
Inco is a super alloy. ~50% nickel. $$$ We use it at work on a lot of hot parts.

Tobin

Ditto. Its made for extreme heat parts, thats why turbos are frequently made of it.

stellite.com/portals/0/wrought%20brochure%20080430.pdf

Read this on stellite

I don't see a advantage, why do they need to be that hard? It would seem like you would risk cracking the stellite.

Tobin

I dunno.... I used stellite valves on the exhaust side.

When I was looking to purchase SBI talked me out of the more expensive inconels and put me with a set of cheaper Stellite, told me they were better technology.

They are stainless valves with stellite faces and tips.

Stellite is only a hard coating on a different metal.

Not really a coating, its gets welded/brazed in.

Stops the valve faces from getting mashed under high temp, and makes the valve tips stronger.

STELLITE

Stellite is a hard coating applied to valve stem tips and faces to provide a hard surface to minimize wear. Stellite alloy is a non-magnetic and non-corrosive cobalt-chromium alloy that may also contain a tungsten element. It resists embrittlement and annealing at higher temperatures. Interestingly, the term Stellite was derived from the name of a Scottish racehorse. Stellite is often applied to steel or stainless steel valves.

(copied from article link above)

Last edited:
I dunno.... I used stellite valves on the exhaust side.

When I was looking to purchase SBI talked me out of the more expensive inconels and put me with a set of cheaper Stellite, told me they were better technology.

They are stainless valves with stellite faces and tips.

Ok, I got you. I was thinking they were Inco with a Stellite inlay. The stainless with a stellite inlay makes sense now. Probably a good lower dollar alternative to a Inco valve.

Stellite inlay on your lawnmower blades works great....until you hit a stick.

Tobin

Last edited:
STELLITE

Stellite is a hard coating applied to valve stem tips and faces to provide a hard surface to minimize wear. Stellite alloy is a non-magnetic and non-corrosive cobalt-chromium alloy that may also contain a tungsten element. It resists embrittlement and annealing at higher temperatures. Interestingly, the term Stellite was derived from the name of a Scottish racehorse. Stellite is often applied to steel or stainless steel valves.

(copied from article link above)

In the first link you posted, the PDF there is a section that covers brazing stellite to other materials.

What I do know is this, I got margined valves, the "coating" of stellite is either very thick, or it is welded in.

Not trying to start some huge war over it, but at $60/valve vs $11/valve, the stellite faced valves will do the same job.

In the first link you posted, the PDF there is a section that covers brazing stellite to other materials.

What I do know is this, I got margined valves, the "coating" of stellite is either very thick, or it is welded in.

Not trying to start some huge war over it, but at $60/valve vs $11/valve, the stellite faced valves will do the same job.

We do a TIG weld inlay with Stellite a lot at work, so your probably on the right track.

Tobin

use stainless for intake and inconel for exhaust. why add weight where you dont need it.....