Stalls when it's cold?

BUICKpowerSIX

Ok so now that it is 20 degrees out in the morning. Lately my truck will stall about 3-5 min. after the first start. After that she will keep running.

Only thing I can think of is maybe a leaky injector. Only reason I say this is cause it will smoke. Almost as bad as my dad's old '88 GMC brigadier with a Cummins. ( I smeled the smoke it is diesel, it even tasted like it for about 5 min.):Throwup:

Thanks everyone.

if you happen to have a hotter file with a cold fix this would do this that is what happened to me. I just junked the cold fix files for normal ones and it seems to work. I don't really have to cold start it that often as it sits in the shop all the time now, but before it would do this

I'm going to assume you do have the looney loaded. Mine used to do the same thing. DJ and Viv helped me with it. The looney never was made for extreme cold. They can put a cold fix but that only helps the first part of the cranking till it starts. Mine would smoke so bad you couldn't see the truck. That's when it was really cold though, they changed some stuff and now it is great. Call them and they can help you out.

terrillf150 said:
I'm going to assume you do have the looney loaded. Mine used to do the same thing. DJ and Viv helped me with it. The looney never was made for extreme cold. They can put a cold fix but that only helps the first part of the cranking till it starts. Mine would smoke so bad you couldn't see the truck. That's when it was really cold though, they changed some stuff and now it is great. Call them and they can help you out.

It starts fine. I think it is just when the glow plugs shut off it stalls. I just wanted to make sure its not an injector. Thanks for the replies I appreciate it greatly. :thankyou2:

Try setting it back to stock and starting it. Mine did exactly what yours is doing. After it would stall I would put it back to stock and it would start right up, idle fine, and not shut off again. Mine would chug and speww tons of smoke until it was up to operating temp. But no matter when it was doing it if i turned it back to stock it would be fine. Try that and post back. If that is what it is doing try running a street file or a much milder looney that's what i did. I miss the power but feel much safer knowing my truck is safe.