Stand alone engine wiring

seeker1056

gear head
Ok so i have a duramax motor been thru a fire - so no engine wiring what so ever but motor is in good condition.

I wish to build a race only truck, with a non electronic auto trans and was wondering if there is a stand alone wiring harness/computor system out there for the motor, and if so who makes it and how much?

thanx

that would be wonderful - but as I said - I have only a good motor, no wiring computor or peripherals at all as it was all burnt

Pretty sure you'll need the throttle pedal assembly to make it work. If you're good with wiring you could buy a used stock harness and ECM then cut out what you don't need. You shouldn't have to add anything to the harness to make it standalone.

PPE can supply the harness if you need. It's just more money.Zues ECM via destroked is coming out with a standalone for Dmax soon or so I hear. Not sure on price.

You will need a throttle assembly as was mentioned.

I may know where an lb7 harness is if yours is lb7(01-04) duramax.

Cya

Check the marketplace on the various forums for a "part-out" thread. you'll get the harness for cheap.

When I called PPE about the stand alone harness. The guy told me they just buy the harness from GM if you don't have your own. I don't remember the exact price but it wasn't cheap.

What year of motor, and what is it going in ?
I have tons of lb7 stuff, little lly, and hardly any lbz stuff.
It is fairly simple to make the stock stuff standalone.

Tommy at Keeter Engineering, has a complete system and computer, plus tuning. This system, is the computer that is used on the NX Mustang, Project Z28 and my Dragster, its simple, does not have to have a body harness.
I’m not sure they are selling them to the public yet, but they are building a lot of Dmax engines for everything from a Airboat, to all out race engines. JohnBoy is doing their tuning. Tommy’s number is 940 782 5422 .

Have you tried checking out painless wiring they have a harness for the dmax I believe but I could be wrong. If they do it maybe cheaper than the PPE $1200 kit. If my memory is right socal diesel sells ecm's fairly priced but the rest I'm not sure who to tell you to go through to get.

Your cheapest bet is to go to a wrecking yard and find a truck that you can remove the harness and parts your going to need. They are getting harder to find but the last one I did the customer picked it all up for $500 at the local pick your part junk yard. After you have the stock stuff it just some time spent to swap the wires around to what you need. You can use any 2001 - 2004 LB7 for a LB7 engine, 2004 - 2005 for a LLY and 2006 and up must use anything from there up.

They also pop up on EBAY from time to time for cheap. I seen an LLY harness go for $125 not to long back. And modding a stock harness isn't that hard to do. I integrated mine into my 95's harness without alot of hassle.

I just gutted my old puller. I have all harnesses, gauges and ECM/TCM. I'll be listing all but the computers.

Ken- Race only rig....why not do some custom work to it and slap a 8 cylinder p-pump onto the thing.But I am pretty sure Randy would be jelous of that!

Sounds like a cool project, any details on what you would have planned for the rest of the truck?

Ryan

hey Ryan

I have this curazy beautiful chrome yellow 65 Mercury truck, that we are putting one ton axles under, and were thinkin of the 2006 duramax motor/alison trans, for this street, n drag only project.

Cant afford much at the moment so a p-pump n such would be out of the question
However true twins, meaning one per cyl bank, is where my head is at, for the moment

Last edited:
painless wiring was supposed to make a harness, nothing on their site except for the CR cummins

Just make your own. It is not a big deal to make one. I tuned an airboat for a guy that had never had a dmax and he made his own. He is a firefighter and wanted to put a dmax in his airboat, so he did it. It was not all that hard to do. You can tune it with EFI live when you are done, it will all work great!

Here is the boat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2j30Q7R8ASs

Back