starter issues?

fummins97

I've been having a problem with my truck for the last few weeks. When I go to start the truck, it will click, only once and that is it. I can try it one time or twenty, sometimes it works on the next try and sometimes it doesn't. I took off the starter and cleaned all the connections and also replaced the starter solenoid, and the battery is good. The starter itself is about three years old and really doesn't have many hours on it, as the truck was rarely driven for the first two years and now I only have a five minute drive to and from work. The dumba$$'s at autozone checked it once and it passed, but my question is I've heard that the starter can get "flat spots" where it gets kind of hung up and won't engage. So is that the reason it will usually start after I smack it will the hammer? I will also mention that this is a 95' 12 valve in a 97' Ford if that would make a difference at all, but the starter is for a dodge. thanks for any help on this, I'm out of possibilities.

Worn out/corroded brushes that ride on the commutator is causing this. Or it could be that a few commutator strips aren't transferring electricity to their corresponding armature strips. Either of these will cause 'dead spots'. When you hit it with a hammer it moves the assembly enough for electricity to flow to another strip causing the assembly to spin like it should. Replace the starter. If you think its still good, you can tear the starter down and test the commutator and armature with a growler tester. I would just throw another starter in it. The clicking noise is the nose (gear) pushing out and hitting the ring gear. Hope this helps

Last edited:
it helps a lot, except for that part where you said replace lol. damn things are expensive, but thanks for the help.

haha i know what you mean man $212 is a pain but not to bad for a delco remy