starter problems

pyrobee

Everything can go faster!
Okay so when I went to take out my old Crank positiin sensor I noticed that the small wire going into the side of the starter was loose. I said well hell that ain't right. But it started so I left it alone. well low and behold I throw a check engine light and the crank position sensor is out again and I get under there and that wire is so loose that I can just spin it. Well In the morning or after it sits for awhiel it is hard to start but I wiggle that a little and it starts right up. I think my batteries are going to but would that wire cause it to possibly leak out a charge over a period of time, or do I just need a new starter and batteries.

I had a similar problem about a month ago with my truck. It took me forever to find it but that little wire had shorted out to the block where it goes through one of the wire loops. Mine would start or not start depending on which way I moved the wire. I replaced the wire from the starter back to the relay box and it works great now. That little wire is what tells your starter when it is time to start, so I would make sure you tighten it up and check to make sure it is not shorting out anywhere.

did yours move around like spin? cause mine will actually spin in the starter. It does not come out though I will check that tommorow though!

If the mounting bolt is spinning in the starter, that's normally bad, means you have a bad connection internal to the solenoid. Go by a starter shop and get the solenoid replaced (not the whole starter) and it should help.

well here is some good news! got it fixed today! FOR FREE!!! I checked with advance auto and it was one of thier parts and it was lifetime warranty. so I called the old owner and got his name and phone number and told them I was him and got a whole new starter for free. Put it in there and solved all the problems at once starts like a beauty!!! thanks for all the input!