Starting motor after complete build advice....

HRDROKN

Prestige Worldwide
Just like the title says.... I will be coming up on firing my motor (69 Ford Cummins Conversion) for the first time.

Looking for some advice as to the best ways to get the fuel system primed up? Are there any preferred methods that don't get diesel sprayed all over everything or is that just wishful thinking?

If it makes any difference, I will be running an AirDog150, dual feed lines and a regulated return.

Thanks!

sorry, i hadnt seen your build thread before, you could probably just crack the #1 injector line and crank it until it starts to catch, then tighten it down and it should fire up.

You can take both fuel lines gpoing to the p-pump off and drain them into a bucket which will prime(if you call that primed, lol) the lift pump/get any debris out of the lines.

Last edited:
not to jump to far off the subject but i have been wondering this for awhile. how do you prime the oil system or do you start it up?

not to jump to far off the subject but i have been wondering this for awhile. how do you prime the oil system or do you start it up?

really all you need to "prime" is the turbo(s)

The rest of the stuff, as long as it wasnt put together dry will be ok until the engine reaches normal operating oil pressure.

alright that was what i assumed aint no distributor to pull and spin the pump with a drill

On this particular build... we are pre-lubing the oil system with a pressurized unit hooked up to an oil port, as I wasn't sure how to get the oil pump primed?

Fire up the air dog to purge all the air from the fuel system
Make sure your fuel shutoff lever is up
Make sure your good to go on oil pressure
I leave the front 3 injection lines cracked on the pump and the back three tight. Crank until it starts firing and then tighten the front 3. Keep a rag on the pump and there is little mess.

Fire up the air dog to purge all the air from the fuel system
Make sure your fuel shutoff lever is up
Make sure your good to go on oil pressure
I leave the front 3 injection lines cracked on the pump and the back three tight. Crank until it starts firing and then tighten the front 3. Keep a rag on the pump and there is little mess.

Cool!

So the back three eventually purge themselves?

:Cheer:

Yes, it will sound cammed to hell until it does. May take a minute.

I usually try to start them for about 10 minutes using the procedure Red stroke used. If it don't start, I close the lines and either the chit out of it.

I've heard on gas motors to use a break in oil for intial fire up and then change the oil and filter again. Is it the same for diesel or no?

On first starts I like to keep a block of wood handy to cover the turbo and snuff it in case of a runaway. Usually crank it for awhile with the fuel shut off to get some oil flowing then let er rip.

i just make a starter switch pull the intake intercooler side turn fuel pump on hit the starter and hold a can of wd-40 wide open till she fires workes every time

i just make a starter switch pull the intake intercooler side turn fuel pump on hit the starter and hold a can of wd-40 wide open till she fires workes every time

That's a good tip too, since there is some lubricant to WD-40, its a bit easier on things than ether.

They changed the mix in the new WD-40 in the past year or so, it used to work good for doing that with small engines too. Not sure how the new stuff works. They took alot of the flamability out since some kids were removing the top plastic spraying tip and igniting a pool of wd40 fluid on the top of can. As soon as the little tube burned thru, it was like the 4th of july...

use your small torch.... you know the one u keep on your tool box for doing blade hoots ?? no, just me then ?

wall mart sized propane bottle, some of you guys may use to solder pipes with... works perfectly for blading hash....

crank that sum b!tch open and let the propane do it's job.....*nx*
hank hill would be proud.

I used the old oil pump, ground the gear down and then welded a nut onto it. You will see the oil filling the rockers, iirc.